A CP newbie starting a 'terrarium'

Hello everyone, I'm Andras Tundik from Hungary. I'm really glad I found this nice UK forum :)

I'm completely new to carnivorous plants, all I know about them is what I have found through the internet since Christmas, so I'm welcoming any info that you guys think appropriate.

I'm actually not at all new to plants. I am into planted aquariums and aquascaping, and also emersed aquascaping which is basically aquatic plants grown not under, but above water in wet conditions. I'm aware that CP's have quite different needs, yet I think its still an adventage and I perhaps won't start from 0 but lets say 1 :)

Here is a link to the Nature Aquarium Gallery in Niigata, Japan and a link to what I do:

My works

And what I would like to know.

For Cristhmas, I got this 'terrarium' from IKEA from my girlfriend. Its not a terrarium, its what we call in Hungarian a "florarium". Basically its for growing small orchids, bromelias in pots, yet enclosed in a more humid environment then open air.

It is not airtight, but has a tray for pouring water in it at the bottom. It has two simple doors at the top for access of the insides. I'll be lighting with 2x20 W 6500K of PowerCompact fluorescent lighting (works really well with aquatic plants) which is quite enough according to this guide (I made the calculations with a camera): http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3400.html

I'm gonna start with easier CP's (Dionaea, some easier Drosera species, Uttricularias and maybe an easy pitcher plant species)

Plants will be in pots, substrate will be 50-50% peat moss and sand.

Watering will be RO water (I've been using a RO unit for a long time for my planted tanks)

What do you guys say, will this setup work? Please change or add to anything I have written. Thanks in advance!

Edited by schruz

I'm gonna start with easier CP's (Dionaea, some easier Drosera species, Uttricularias and maybe an easy pitcher plant species)

I really like your work!!

please notice dionaea , sarracenia and some drosera are hardy and need a resting period in the winter so I don't think these are suitable for your terrarium/paludarium setup.

Goodluck!!

I really like your work!!

please notice dionaea , sarracenia and some drosera are hardy and need a resting period in the winter so I don't think these are suitable for your terrarium/paludarium setup.

Goodluck!!

Thanks mate! :)

Since Im simply gonna use pots, the plants are easily removable from the terrarium into a place where they can rest during the winter. That is part of the plan, I just forgot to write it down. Its great that you mentioned this actually. I'd like to choose plants with similar winter resting needs, to minimize at least this part of my worries :P Could someone help with picking out a few easy to moderate plants with similar resting needs? (I'd like some plants too which do not require resting though, so that I can enjoy the setup during the winter as well)

Edited by schruz

I dont know whether you guys have seen this CP terrarium: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-physiology-emersed-culture/72691-emersed-aquatic-plants-carnivorous-plant-layout.html

It blows my mind. Stunning isn't it? This was the tank a while ago that actually inspired me to get to know more about CP's.

In the meantime please try and answer my question ;)

Edited by schruz

Your work is absolutely beautiful... I love it and it has inspired me to want to try something similar. What is this plant: http://i1099.photobu...lindernia-2.jpg?

One plants that you might already be aware of it Utricularia graminifolia. It is often grown as a ground-cover plant in aquariums, but if grown as an emergent then it will flower.

SS851198.JPG

Your work is absolutely beautiful... I love it and it has inspired me to want to try something similar. What is this plant: http://i1099.photobu...lindernia-2.jpg?

One plants that you might already be aware of it Utricularia graminifolia. It is often grown as a ground-cover plant in aquariums, but if grown as an emergent then it will flower.

SS851198.JPG

I'm glad you like my stuff mobile! ;) Do try Wabi Kusas they can really freshen up the room with their green lushness.

Yes, it is Lindernia rotundifolia, as Emiel has said. A very easy stem plant, that flowers very frequently when emersed if nutrients and light are abundant.

And yes, I am familiar with UG (thats how we call it in the planted tank communities) Actually Im planning to use that plant in a new aquarium setup soon and will definitely try some emersed too. As I can see from your beautiful pic, you keep it in very shallow water. Ive heard of it preferring 'emersed' life this way. Is it right?

Any other suggestions? I recon most other terrestrial Uttricularia species are amongst the easier CP's and thank god they have beautiful flowers in reward for care... What other plants would you reccommend though? Other then Dionaea, cause thats a must have for every newbie I'm sure :D Perhaps an easier tropical Drosera sp. without dormancy requirements which you would recommend specifically?

And yes, I am familiar with UG (thats how we call it in the planted tank communities) Actually Im planning to use that plant in a new aquarium setup soon and will definitely try some emersed too. As I can see from your beautiful pic, you keep it in very shallow water. Ive heard of it preferring 'emersed' life this way. Is it right?

I think they grow abundantly either fully immersed in an aquarium or as an emergent. The difference is though as an emergent they will readily flower, given sufficient heat and light.

What are the dimensions of your florarium? Knowing this will mean that we will have an idea of height restriction. You could also have a look at http://cpphotofinder.com/ and see if there are any plants that particularly appeal to you then check back here on suitability.

Yes I've seen those, some very nice works too! You see, we rearly stop and think, wow UG is actually a CP. We just treat it as a normal aquatic plant. And it does very well with fertilizers actually. We add both nutrient rich soils and also liquid ferts and this particular CP definitely likes it.

Please excuse my dumb description, but I like the octopus-like red green or completely red Drosera species. I like "]Drosera barbigera for instance.

Drosera are my favourite by the way so I'm thinking about keeping multiple species.

Drosera derbyensis for instance is something Im not too turned on about atm at least on this pic. :D But I'm sure I will soon be later when Ill know more. Im sure its a hard plant anyway.

Drosophyllum lusitanicum looks amazing with its fern like leaves, but chances are its a hard plant too.

Im into any terrestrial Uttricularia. They are all beautiful.

Equally any feasible sized Sarracenia or Heliamphora species would be welcome. I heard that Cephalotus follicularis is easy to keep, im not sure whether its true.

I like all Pinguiculas that have primarily green or redish leaves, but not some whitish ones I've seen.

Nephantes species as Ive read are some of the hardest to keep so I wouldnt like those for now.

But really, guys, any other starter to medium plants will do. After all I'll be happy if anything stays alive for the first time.

Terrarium is not too big with a roof shaped top.

Dimensions:

45cm long, 26cm tall at sides and 34cm at the rooftop, 31cm deep

So to keep it simple: 45x30x30cm

Edited by schruz

Cephalotus is easy to keep and when mixed in with some Utricularia it can look very nice: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24332&hl=

You could consider an Australian themed terrarium, with native plants from there, such as Cephalotus, Utricularia paulineae and some pigmy Drosera, for example.

Cephalotus is easy to keep and when mixed in with some Utricularia it can look very nice: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24332&hl=

You could consider an Australian themed terrarium, with native plants from there, such as Cephalotus, Utricularia paulineae and some pigmy Drosera, for example.

Alright, thanks mate! Cephalotus is unfortunately quite hard to get here in Hungary but I'll keep searching. You definitely moved me towards the realization of the project, and I also love dwarf sundews so thanky for encouraging me with them.

I'm dieing to see more of your work man, could you link a thread where you posted your hydro-culture and CP pics?

Something else. On the Hungarian aquascaping forum a guy said that he was able to grow some tipe of pitcher plant and some Venus Flytraps in acidic potting soil for Hortenzias. He said they survived for about a year and have grown well. I doubt it myself, but can this be true?

Edited by schruz

Alright, thanks mate! Cephalotus is unfortunately quite hard to get here in Hungary but I'll keep searching.

You might want to try putting a post in the Sales & Wants forum for the plants you are looking for.

Something else. On the Hungarian aquascaping forum a guy said that he was able to grow some tipe of pitcher plant and some Venus Flytraps in acidic potting soil for Hortenzias. He said they survived for about a year and have grown well. I doubt it myself, but can this be true?

In theory they will grow in mineral free acidic soil, for instance a couple of us on here have tried growing them in pine needles. The problem with pre-mixed soils though is the nutrients, which VFT can't tolerate much of. If possible you are far safer using peat with added perlite/sand or both.

In theory they will grow in mineral free acidic soil, for instance a couple of us on here have tried growing them in pine needles. The problem with pre-mixed soils though is the nutrients, which VFT can't tolerate much of. If possible you are far safer using peat with added perlite/sand or both.

I thought so. Thats why I asked actually. Cause I knew that nutrientrich soil is a no-no for CP's. OK, thanks for your valuable answers mobile, I guess I'll just search for your pics then ;)

I've looked at all of your pics mate. Absolutely and utterly beautiful. You are a pro after all ;) Call me a pervert but I feel like eating/drinking that delicious looking Uttricularia from that cup :D

Edited by schruz

I've looked at all of your pics mate. Absolutely and utterly beautiful. You are a pro after all ;) Call me a pervert but I feel like eating/drinking that delicious looking Uttricularia from that cup :D

That's Utricularia sandersonii. A really easy grower.