I've just moved to Germany, and I'm looking for a supplier of moss peat for repotting the carnies I have with me. I don't have a car though, so can anyone reccommend an online source?

Would I be better off buying bales of sphagnum moss and just using that? If so, anyone know a good online supplier here in Germany?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Anorthosite,

welcome here in Munich! You can get peat moss in every garden center or building center for few Euros, so it is not worth to order it online. If you are looking for pots or special substrates http://www.goetzpflanzenzubehoer.de is my choice.

Joachim

I've just moved to Germany, and I'm looking for a supplier of moss peat for repotting the carnies I have with me. I don't have a car though, so can anyone reccommend an online source?

Would I be better off buying bales of sphagnum moss and just using that? If so, anyone know a good online supplier here in Germany?

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

The product name for blonde peat in Germany is "Torf". Sometimes another word is added as a prefix like "Gartentorf" or "Hochmoortorf".

Peat is very common in garden centers and do-it-yourself stores in Germany, and it is relatively cheap (if available). Sometimes availability is limited to spring and summer.

The most typical selling unit of high quality peat in garden centers is a 120 to 130 litre bale of peat, priced 10 to 13 Euro. These bales are far too big to purchase them online in a packet, such a bale is a bulky good andwill only be transported by haulage contractors, so the transporting costs will be a multiple of the price for the peat. Nobody does that to purchase only a single bale.

The next smaller selling unit are bags of peat with 60 to 65 litre contents. They are around half the price of a bale and sold frequently in do-it-yourself stores. Be warned: The quality of such peat is sometimes (not always) much lower than the quality in the bigger bales. Very good for Pinguicula, Sarracenia and most other carnivores. But the lower quality peat is perhaps not the best choice for every sensitive Drosera species.

The smallest selling unit is a 30-litre-bale of peat, only available from one producer, the product name is the "Floragard Torfboy", which is a mini-bale of 30 litres. This one can be found in some bigger garden centers. Quality is high and price around 6-7 Euro.

If you are bound to online ordering, you can purchase even better quality peat, but things become expensive. A very good peat with a "near sphagnum quality" is available at Thomas Carow, for example, his sale list is available at http://www.falle.de/versandpreisliste.pdf and the peat is listed under the name "Weißtorf". But this is real a very special quality peat that you will prefer with some very rare Drosera or for sowing seeds, but in most other cases the peat sold usually in garden centers is the peat of choice.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers, looks like I'll have to try and scrounge a lift from someone to Obi or somewhere similar!

A small 30-litre bale of "Floragard Torfboy" can easily be transported on a bicycle with a bicycle rack and a fastening belt. They can be found in the bigger and well assorted garden centers from time to time. This mini-bale also has a simple carrying handle, so you can take it with you as a pedestrian.

OBI stores are so or so: Some have them have peat bales. And some of them have no peat at all.

Praktiker stores may have peat bags (stored outdoors in the garden compartment), or not. Depends on time of the year, I think. The last bag I purchased from Praktiker seems to be poor quality, I used it for Pinguicula only.

So be prepared, that perhaps you will have to visit two or three garden centers or DIY stores to purchase peat.

BTW: I just looked up eBay and found that currently one seller at www.ebay.de is selling peat bags, postage within Germany included. The article number at ebay.de is 270769990044. I don't know about the company or the quality of the product, but that's what I found for online sale.

Good luck!

• Like 1