Banksia in Western Australia

Martin Hingst

Hi,

for those of you who didn't come along this genus before, I'd like to introduce these fascinating plants to you. For sure among the most fascinating plants I have found in WA.

They belong to the Proteaceae family and are restricted to Australia, with a lot of lovely species in WA. They are extremely variable in habit - some species form real trees, most are shrubs, and with some there are only a few leaves coming directly out of the sand, and next to it emerges a huge flower bulb:

imgp8422fd.jpg

The flower bulbs consists of many hundreds or even thousands of single flowers, of which only a few get pollinated:

imgp8596t.jpg

And those few pollinated flowers form big seeds, that give the outbloomed bulbs their typical appearance:

imgp8523.jpg

BTW, here one of its pollinators:

imgp9147.jpg

As variable as in growth habit, are the flower bulbs in shape and colour. Some form nearly round balls, some are elongated. In white, yellow, green, orange...

imgp9658.jpg

imgp5671.jpg

...and red! So here comes the queen of Banksia - Banksia coccinea:

imgp8652u.jpg

imgp8640.jpg

imgp8636b.jpg

imgp8631a.jpg

[coccinea.jpg

And finally an overview - Banksia at sundown, among another spectacular member of the Proteaceae - Hakea victoria, at East Mount Barren.

imgp8579.jpg

Hope you like it -

Martin

Beautiful plants and pics! The first photo reminds me of a 'bottle brush shrub' I think its called Callistemonor, which is fairly common here. They really are very different from one another!

Nadja - I always thought Callistemon is only to be found in Australia. Maybe introduced to Southern Africa as garden plants? Not surprising though that is comes along pretty good with your climate, as it is quite similar to Western Australia.

Despite their similarities, they are not related - Callistemon belongs to the Myrtaceae family.

Regards

Martin

Edited by Martin Hingst

You're right, it is mainly found in cultivation here, although I have seen the odd one in the wild. I think it is more of an invasive species in SA, but I am not sure. We do have a lot of problems with alien species, especially with Eucalyptus and even more so with Chromolaena (not Australian) which, if not kept in check, tends to out compete anything else in the bushveld causing havoc with the ecosystem. It goes to show how important it is not to introduce anything, anywhere, where it does not belong...

woops am I ranting? :red33:

That does naturally not change the fact that those plants are absolutely beautiful! :D

Edited by nadja77