Many different CPs

Drosera hartmeyerorum: the yellow projections that have caused so much controversy can clearly be seen. Strangely, the projections are also present on the scape, which is odd as it is theorised that they attract prey. This seems far more suitable for terrarium cultivation than the forms of D indica that I have tried

328dhartmeyerorumCIMG2672.jpg

Drosera whittakeri ssp. aberrans: a photo from October, a few weeks after the buds emerged

530droserawhCIMG2538.jpg

Drosera felix: very slow-growing seedlings

393dfelixCIMG2730.jpg

Drosera ascendens ‘Itarare’:

552dascendensitarareCIMG2.jpg

Drosera ascendens ‘red’: this plant has gone mad as the weather has cooled down and formed three crowns

121dascendensred2CIMG2723.jpg

Drosera graminifolia: I got these plants from Best CPs (in great health), and due to my negligence, they dried out for 24 hours after arrival. Most of the plants have since rallied, however, and are putting out good growth

218dgraminifoliaCIMG2713.jpg

Drosera oblanceolata ‘Sunset Peak, Hong Kong’

606droseraobCIMG2553.jpg

Drosera subtilis: a particularly poor photo, I know, but I’m not aware that there are any others on the internet, and the plant is now dead, so I can’t take any better photos!

426dsubtilisCIMG2449.jpg

Genlisea aurea: not the best specimen that you’ll see, but interesting as the mucus coating that is sometimes produced can clearly be seen on the smaller, more recently produced leaves:

771genliseaaCIMG2734.jpg

Pinguicula vallisneriaefolia: I have finally met with success growing this wonderful plant:

300pvalisCIMG1763.jpg

Pinguicula grandiflora ‘Rio Ara’ with Pinguicula longifolia ssp. longifolia (I think) growing outside. I like the contrast between the colours of the leaves:

732pgrandlongCIMG1769.jpg

Pinguicula gypsicola: about as close to a Drosera as a plant that is not a Drosera can get!

965pinggypCIMG2488.jpg

• Like 1

Nepenthes dubia ‘Malea’: purchased at the EEC in Chester for the princely sum of 70 quid, by far the most I’ve ever spent on a plant. This photo was taken in OctoberIt has stopped pitchering for the time being- strangely, it seemed to be perturbed by the drop in temperatures this Autumn and has taken a while to acclimatise. It seems to be growing new pitchers again now, though, which is a relief given the price tag!

384nepdubiaCIMG2551.jpg

Nepenthes inermis ‘Gunung Gadut’: I can’t wait for the uppers! I’m fascinated by the Sumatran Neps which can trap insects in the same manner as Pings can:

387nepinermisCIMG2700.jpg

Nepenthes ampullaria ‘Cantely’s Red’: I can’t really take credit for this pitcher as it was present when the plant arrived from Best CPs in September.

923nepampCIMG2697.jpg

Same plant, basal rosette:

916nampbasalCIMG2689.jpg

Nepenthes bicalcarata: has really come on in the last 18 months- thanks Andreas:

121nepbicalCIMG2688.jpg

Nepenthes albomarginata: a newly opened pitcher of this very red form. The pitcher will go bright red over the next few weeks

303nepalbo2CIMG2684.jpg

Heliamphora nutans: has adapted well to my newish highland setup having suffered neglect for a couple of years:

984hnutansCIMG2716.jpg

Nepenthes veitchii x maxima- I've included this to show that even quite a fancy hybrid can grow reasonably well on a bathroom windowsill. This photo was taken a couple of months ago, but it has carried on pitchering, albeit at a slower rate, until now, despite the distinct lack of light at this time of year

369nepvxmCIMG2470.jpg

Edited by Greg Allan
  • Like 1

Byblis filfolia, giant form 'Honeymoon Beach': this plant has leaves in excess of 20 cm in length, and dwarfs the other annual Byblis species. The pedicals are always shorter than the leaves- I wonder whether it is actually a different species from the lanky forms of B filifolia such as B 'Goliath' It is now producing seed which I will distribute in due course

463bfilifoliahoneymoonCIM.jpg

Byblis gigantea 'Perth Airport' form: this magnificent species catches a lot of flies. I have noticed that trapped insects that come to rest upon the leaf surface (where the sessile glands are situated) eventually become stuck fast and are difficult to remove. Maybe this is the result of the digestion process?

430bgiganteaplantCIMG1762.jpg

The same form in flower:

786bgiganteaflowersCIMG25.jpg

Byblis gigantea 1, wasp 0! My plants caught a few large insects such as this. I think that only small insects which come into contact with the sessile glands can actually be digested, however.

598bgiganteawaspCIMG2546.jpg

Byblis guehoi 'Kimberley': this individual was grown in my unheated greenhouse from June onwards. It branched naturally (i.e. without any pinching, chemicals, etc) and eventually produced large numbers of flowers simultaneously. This is a relatively early photo with only seven open flowes. Interestingly, I have seen some of Allen Lowrie's habitat shots of this plant looking similar to the one in my photo.

943bguehoi5CIMG2518.jpg

Another shot of the same specimen.

276bguehoi1CIMG2501.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi Greg,

your Drosera hartmeyerorum looks gorgeous! :Laie_71mini: I currently try to raise them from seed in my lowland tank - close to the lights. Nothing germinated so far, but I´ve been told the seeds can take 6 - 8 weeks or even longer to germinate. Let´s see what will happen. It´s most likely not the best time to sow them.

Great Bical pitcher! Did I send you this plant? - I think I´ve sold one in August 2010 but haven´t kept in mind to whom. :oops: My remaining specimen looks rather poor and I think my tank´s still not warm enough for this species or what the heck goes wrong! B-/

Erm...as for N. ampullaria "Cantley´s Red": I think I would have beeen disappointed about the colouration of the pitchers. :-( Would have expected a little more red! ;-)

All the other ones are also great plants! Worship... :Laie_71mini:

Kind regards

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the comments.

Andreas- yes, the bical did come from you! It is currently growing very well- I keep it in a very large terrarium in very warm and humid conditions and it is rapidly increasing in size. I keep the tank hot and humid by maintaining a reservoir of a few inches of water with an aquarium heater submerged in it. As for the amp, it is redder than the photos suggest and is still adapting to the move. The older pitchers are very red. It was a real bargain- it came from Best CPs in September with a basal already growing. BTW, the amp that you sent to me (Cyclops Mountain) is also doing very well.

Hi Tulio,

The inermis is in very bright light (250w envirolite). Temps are about 21 deg in the day and 13-16 at night- usuallly towards the lower end of this range. It does not pitcher consistently, however, so I will need to keep experimenting with conditions.

Hi Adam,

I may sell some Byblis seeds on the forum in the new year. I will also donate some seed to the UK's CPS seedbank, so for the membership fee, you should be able to obtain seeds of many types of Byblis.

Greg

Andreas, N. 'Cantley's Red' is not super red. It was one of the original red clones first collected by Robert Cantley many years ago; from Brunei.

Adrian Slack selected it out as one the most impressive red amp's he had ever seen and nicknamed it after Rob. Then Adrian published his book and named it as a cultivar.

Now, many years later; Rob has the siblings 'Cantley's Red' and their progeny in very large quanities, via cuttings and TC. Many of these clones are robust growers, including the now more than sixteen clones of N. 'Harlequin'.

And yet, 'Cantley's Red' is still unique; it is sort of the opposite color pattern to Rob's 'Red Speckles' but not quite. It also seems to produce a bit more hair than other N. ampullaria...

Edited by Dave Evans

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

What an interesting selection of plants, congrats!

You may have to change the label on that D.graminifolia to D.spiralis, see this topic: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48154

And later in 2013, you may have to change the labels on those D.ascendens too...

Congrats,

Fernando Rivadavia