Cephalotus seeds in a peat free medium.

Ian_P

Hi everyone,

My first attempt at growing cp's is now underway. However I could not get any moss peat locally, so I have made up a mix of equal parts Canna coco plus, dried sphagnum moss (re-hydrated) and perlite.

I gently pressed the seeds onto the surface and watered them in as suggested in another post on the forum, then placed the pots into a propagator and placed them on a cool windowsill.

I have a heat mat, but understand the cool temperature will help them to germinate, so I'll wait a few weeks before giving them any heat.

When (if) they germinate, I will put them under a 125w blue spectrum (6400k) eco light.

They were sown on Monday (12-12-2011) and I'll keep posting any progress updates. Fingers crossed.

Regards, Ian.

Hi mobile,

I got the seeds from Triffid Nurseries in Suffolk. Apparently they were harvested in September this year.

Regards, Ian.

This is how the soil mix looks after watering the seeds in. There are 3 seeds in separate 11cm pots.

785IMAG0081.jpg

You have done a good job, Ian. I hope all of them will germinate for you. :tu:

Acording to my experience the Cephs seeds need cold strat. I keep mine seeds in greehouse during the whole winter, aprox 3 months on wet peat/sand mix and they germinate easy with the warming of time in spring. It's not different from Sarras seeds strat. However, I don't find difference in the germination if the cephs seeds are kept drye in tisue in cold place for stratification or directly sown on soil mix. The two ways works but the most important for me is to provide cold strat for them.

Anyway, under my conditons some seeds are germinaited before the real strat began, so it's not exclusion....

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep them cool for a while and be patient.

I potted some Sarracenia purpurea and Drosera scorpioides in the same mix today. The Sarracenia are now in the fridge and the Drosera are in a warm propagator @ around 20°C.

The Drosera arrived packed in damp tissue inside a plastic bag and were marked " Sow Immediately!"

I'll keep you posted.

Regards, Ian.

They are gemmae, do they need to be treated differently?

This is the first time I've grown them.

Regards, Ian.

Quick update,

Some of the Pygmy sundew gemmae have started to grow. I took a macro shot earlier today and will try and upload it later.

What sort of humidity should I keep them in? At the moment the pot is in a terrarium, on a heat mat, under a 125w eco light and it has lots of condensation inside the terrarium.

Regards, Ian.

The CPUK photo hosting site is playing up, so I've put a pic of Pygmy sundew gemmae on photobucket.

DroseraScorpioides.jpg

Regards, Ian.

Edited by mobile
Inserted image from link

• 4 months later...

Update: Two of the cephalotus seeds germinated successfully. Unfortunately I managed to disturb one of them while watering and it has turned brown, so I'm now trying not to kill the one remaining seedling. I'll post a photo when I get chance to transfer them from my camera.

Regards,

Ian.

Here's a pic of the one remaining seedling.

CephalitusSeedlings21-4-2012.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, here's a couple of shots of my seedlings. The one I thought was dead is still growing too.

1-6-2012.jpg

1-6-20121.jpg