Nepenthes villsoa

bodaciousbonsai

Hello to all! I bought 150 seeds of Nepenthes villosa seeds from ebay, I was wondering what is the best way to germinate them. From what I read on the net they do not need to be stratified. Just use milled NZ sphagnum moss and keep a little above moist???

These seeds cost me $80.00 usd and with your help maybe we can produce some plants. I only did this for the challenge of the plant, The seeds are coming from china. So I am not sure if they are from this area, or if they are just being grown with the right cultural requirements. The seed should be in NY between 12-19-11 and 12-31-11. I know about two weeks ago, A Gent grew these out to 2"-3" and the one plant fetched almost 200.00 on ebay.

I already have a prototype built of a chiller that does not effect the humidity. Which I knew I would need in order to grow this beautiful plant because of its extreme highland culture requirements. Well Please feel free to throw in your own two cents to this post.

Thanks Again,

Clayton :whistling:

Edited by bodaciousbonsai

I bought some villosa seeds from Best CPs last year. I guess the problem is that none of us know whether what we're buying are, indeed, the real thing. We just have to grow them and see.

Mine germinated under my usual germination regime: compost of 80% perlite/ 20% moss peat; under bright lights (T5s), and at a temperature of about 19-23 degrees.

I kept them at around 20 degrees for a few weeks, then put them in usual highland conditions. There was about 50% mortality over the last few months. They're now growing steadily, but slowly of course, with temperatures of 14 degrees at night and 20 degrees by day.

i hope you did not buy seeds that were collected in the wild. Nepenthes villosa is a protected species by the CITES. This would really suck.

Well update on the seeds. I guess there was a third party that got access to the ebay account. and the ebay user is no longer registered. Another words I got burned for 80 bucks. I will never do this again, as my gramps use to say you will learn a lesson from a lesson. Well no I am not going to cry over spilled milk. Also how the heck am I supposed to know if they were wild collected. I sure as hope like hell they weren't. :banging::suicide:

Hello

Sad to say I was ripped off on the same deal as well. :suicide: Either he was reported to ebay (I know of some that were reporting him) or removed his account so he couldn't be tracked down, villosa seeds or not. If there happen to be seeds I really hope to hell that they weren't collected as well. I got confirmed shipment on the 5th, so well see what happens. :sad:

Hello

Sad to say I was ripped off on the same deal as well. :suicide: Either he was reported to ebay (I know of some that were reporting him) or removed his account so he couldn't be tracked down, villosa seeds or not. If there happen to be seeds I really hope to hell that they weren't collected as well. I got confirmed shipment on the 5th, so well see what happens. :sad:

was the ebay user name shendelzard??

Well update on the seeds. I guess there was a third party that got access to the ebay account. and the ebay user is no longer registered. Another words I got burned for 80 bucks. I will never do this again, as my gramps use to say you will learn a lesson from a lesson. Well no I am not going to cry over spilled milk. Also how the heck am I supposed to know if they were wild collected. I sure as hope like hell they weren't. :banging::suicide:

Auctioning seed for this much money just goes to show bad intent.

It was a bad deal even if the seed was legit. Everyone, keep this in mind. You don't make expensive deals with people you don't know for products you can't even verify the value thereof. It's bad business and someone coming at you this way, even via an auction, designed the sale to rip you off.

yep. I got a message from one of my CP friends who said that he messaged him and heard that the seeds where harvested from Trusmadie...which means that he lied to me when I asked about the seeds! :suicide_fool-edit:

Does villosa even grow on Mt trusmadi? I thought it was restricted to Mt kinabalu and tambuyukon.

The seeds could be N. macrophylla. That one is easy to mistake for N. villosa.

While possible, it's much easier for a crook to substitute seeds from lowland mutt or non-viable old seeds - no need for expensive travel and a difficult climb.

Just based on what I regularly see in the various forums, separating inexperienced growers from their money has got to be a gold mine for these fleabay sellers ...

For sure Ron,

I don't know why folks buys like this from Ebay... And I've been saying it for years and years now. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the "villosa" seeds arrived today in 6 packets... a few were smashed for being in a regular mail envelope :ireful2: , but suprisingly most of them survived.

DSC_0019.jpg

He exxagerated on the amount of seeds...id say there were about 90 in total. Some of the seeds have been shipped off to a expert villosa TCer, some have been shipped off to a private TC lab, and some are staying with me.

If you guys want baby villosas why not buy them from ck his villosas are in good condition and not too pricey, i have been growing one of his larger specimens for almost a year and a half and theyre vigorous as hell. Never buy seeds from ebay rather contact reputable nurseries like borneo exotics or bcp. Bcp recently sold villosa seeds which had great germination rates for us

Those seed packs look suspiciously like the ones I got from BCP not too long ago, while I cannot guarantee that they are the real thing, BCP is a very reputable seller and everything I have bought from them has proved to be the real thing and good quality. It looks like his handwriting on the packets. I would imagine they came from him originally and were sold to you by a third party. The third party most likely removed a number of the seeds from the packs for himself and then sold them on to defray costs.

Edited by Peter Hewitt

Hey fellow,

Good luck with the seed. It does cost a fair amount of money, just for a "permit" to climb Mount Kinabalu. So I don't see any problem for someone to ask for money to defray the cost.

However, buying seed off Ebay, you have no control over who and how they collected. They might be the most responsible and careful person, or someone who is like "a bull in a china shop" damaging the environment and killing plants as they collect the seed. :(

• 1 month later...

Well, the "villosa" seeds arrived today in 6 packets... a few were smashed for being in a regular mail envelope :ireful2: , but suprisingly most of them survived.

DSC_0019.jpg

He exxagerated on the amount of seeds...id say there were about 90 in total. Some of the seeds have been shipped off to a expert villosa TCer, some have been shipped off to a private TC lab, and some are staying with me.

I also got mine, hope to hell they are the real thing. I just sicked paypal on him and got my seeds way later. they have been sowed since 12-10-11 so we shall see if the seed is viable,mutt,etc..!

Edited by bodaciousbonsai