S. Leucophylla dormancy requirements

NickR

Just wondering does this plant require being in a consistantly cold temperature for dormancy or will it tolerate being inside?

The amount of light (duration, angle) seems to be the main factor triggering dormancy, but I believe heat should not be completely neglected, meaning, if you keep your plant inside, at room-temperatures, the plant will not get the correct "sleeping-conditions" it needs...can you not keep your plant in a cool place?

Righto, yeah I have a small lean to green house outside that most of my other plants are in and doing fine. I just wasn't sure if leucophyllas needed something similar or not. So its probably a safe bet to put it in there 'cause the green house is typically around 10*c and below without freezing.

Cheers both of you.

• 1 month later...

I find they are completely hardy outside in London but are later to start into growth than those kept in a greenhouse. They didn't like last winter very much and put on a poor show of late pitchers in the autumn which may be related.