Nep tea fertilizer?

just been reading up on using coffee as a fertilizer for neps, would decaf be ok or not?

also, has anyone actually tried using tea instead of coffee?

I use tea to water all my plants (apart from neps) once a week (i get a handful of used tea bags and put them in a jug of water for a couple of hours to let it brew nicely), and all the plants thrive with tea treatment. i have tried coffee on plants, but not got the same growth as i do with tea

• 2 months later...

i have used tea a couple of times on neps since i started this thread

my mira and rajah do certainly have a quick growth spurt - a new leaf quickly appears within days and gets bigger each day

i still have no pitchers form though, just get to the point of looking like a small pitcher, then nothing happens :(

i have used tea a couple of times on neps since i started this thread

my mira and rajah do certainly have a quick growth spurt - a new leaf quickly appears within days and gets bigger each day

i still have no pitchers form though, just get to the point of looking like a small pitcher, then nothing happens :(

That is pretty cool, i had no idea you could use tea to fertilize plants! can you use it on other CPs or just Neps? i have 2 Alatas and a Spectabilis, could i use it on them??

• 2 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread. To make a tea fertilizer do I just brew tea as I would normally to drink and then leave it to cool to safe neps temperature? Or just use a couple of old tea bags in cold water and leave it to brew? How long do you leave it to brew in cold water?

brew it up let it cool,with the normal water you would use(not tap water,unless you are lucky and its good) no milk or sugar or hobnobs,and water with it,i have never used it,but coffee is much more commonly used,i have used coffee and it seems to work

What neps don't like hobnobs! Its a travesty!

Thanks for the reply, I'm a big tea drinker so when my neps need it, it will get tea. The coffee drinkers in this house drink instant coffee, so not really an option.

• Like 1

yes use the water you would normally use(rain or RO,)If you are very lucky you can use tap but you need to test it,i boil water in a clean saucepan as my kettle has limescale and i think that could be bad news

• 6 years later...

Yo I'm a beginner, i have U. Arenaria and U. Calycifida is on shipment rn. Would the tea fertilizer thing work? And also, I once had a Calycifida and i was on a trip, my grandma took care of it. She put fertilizer, it was decaying and now it is dead, was there at least a chance it could've made it?