Drosera topic

Oleksii

At last we got fine warm weather and I decided to plant seeds of wintergrowing sundews, like D.menziesii ssp. menziesii and some others.

gallery_5950_499_19702.jpg

One thing I am thinking about is do I have to cover pots with seeds with some glassy lid. I usually do it for most seeds which I tried to germinate to keep humidity, but this is not that case, so, perhaps, no.

And do I have to start watering pots near mid of September?

Other and good thing is germinating of D. burmanii

gallery_5950_499_98388.jpg

There are a lot of plantlets, so I suppose it time to fed them ;)

Edited by Oleksii

Hi! Little update.

I got small piece of miracle - started second wave of indica germination. I didn't expect this but it was suitable weather, so:

gallery_5950_499_70317.jpg

gallery_5950_499_88851.jpg

gallery_5950_499_34185.jpg

Hope, this weather will be for a long time.

Neighbor of indica pot is burmanii one. Most of the seedlings are near reddish, only some under pot rim shadow are pure green.

gallery_5950_499_112284.jpg

Perhaps, I have to feed them, but how? There was a lot of whiteflies (don't know how it correctly in English) last year, so CP had really good banquet, but not this year. It was like at photo (sorry, it butterworts)

gallery_5950_499_33931.jpg

Now I have dry fish food (Daphnia) and peptone powder. Can I dust seedlings by peptone or it will be beter to make solution and put drops of it. Or something with fish food? Please, help me with desition.

And two more pictures: capensis flower and pollen grain

gallery_5950_499_13474.jpg

gallery_5950_499_4769.jpg

Thanks!

Oleksii

Edited by Oleksii

Oh, I have forgotten one thing. I planted tuberous sundews seed on sand mix some few weeks before and now I can't see any of them. Maybe my relatives moved pots and seeds went into sand. Is it something to worry about or they will germinate?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I grow several indica vareints, with seedlings they are fast growing if they are allowed 3-4hours morning sun, temps of 25-35c and moderate humidity (60%).

I somtimes feed them betta pellets (fighter fish food) but normally they are happy to catch small insects.

They are a super fast growing plant, right up there with burmanni, but this is due to the nature of their natural enviroment (also they are native here).

Thanks for answer, but question about indica was solved by itself — it died when I was in business trip (as many other CPs).

But question about not producing gemmae is still upped. Maybe, problem is in not proper day-night rhythm. But what really interest me is will plants suffer from this behavior and can I allow them to flower?

Thanks for answer.

Sincerely,

Oleksii

Edited by Oleksii

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...