Some Genlisea Again !

Anthony

I once accidentally left G. hispidula (without location) outside for the winter in Poland. When I realized it was outdoor it was already April. I went out and it was in ice in pot with D. intermedia. I dug a cube of ice with the soil and brought it home. The plant seemed to be fine and even flowered the following summer. Still, it was just an accident. I didn't intend to leave it there for the winter, it just happened. In ice it survived some harsh frosts like -10(-14)*C. It was rather mild winter than too, with much snow. I never tried doing like that ever again. I just don't know if I should. I don't want people to think that I am torturing my plants...

With my accidental experience, I would consider that one as the first one to even try. Maybe I just got really lucky, hard to say.

IMG_9195_zpsf15e2fce.jpg

I remember it was one of those three plants. Which exactly, I don't remember. I kept two in pot and indoor and one left outside. When I brought that one indoor in April, I put it back to the other two. I only remember that it got very much compact for the winter, much more than the ones kept indoor. But till the summer they all started looking very similar and all flowered. The difference also was gone, so I can't point which one of those it was.

Edited by Cephalotus

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot wait to see that in live at home one day. :) It is interesting how diffident are the two flowers on the same plant. If shown separately, one could think that they came from two different plants. Still from so many species there are quite many of them are not possible to reach in cultivation if they really are somewhere.

• 3 months later...

Hi Maiden,

your plant looks like it has more than one growing cone, which means, it could be divided. Sometimes it is easy enough to do it only with your fingers, other times, the clump is a little bit different ore compact and it is better to put something in between, not necessarily sharp. It is very much doable. Even if you somehow would be left with barely any traps in the process, also don't worry. If you have proper conditions for this species to grow, it will set new ones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx for the info.

I think i will wait before. If i make divisions right now, i will have hard times trying to get more flowers.

From my experience, when i let a clump of plants together, the flowers come more easily.

Oh, my leaves cuttings have new leaves now :)

• 2 months later...

Wow anthony, thanks for sharing this ! I know genlisea do not push flowers easily so you are an outstanding grower.

By the way, i make a leaf cutting of my g.aurea and i have good results :) i had a flower also, but never fully open. A mutant one. Maybe i need more experience with this genus!

Your Genlisea subglabra look very pale... Mine was much more intense in colour as well as in terrarium and outdoor. But that one cannot be mistaken if it goes for leafs. :) Beside the African species, maybe except G. margaretae, grow perfectly on windowsill or just outside in summer in full sun. Flowering and producing seeds. I am not sure, but maybe G. margaretae would need to stay under the water the whole time, which I cannot provide at the moment. When I will have more of it again, I shall try to grow some that way.

IMG_3944_zps87b22bc1.jpg

IMG_3945_zpsdb7b89fa.jpg

When I was growing mine under 3 x 18W it was never so deep in colour than when I put it outside to direct sun light. I think that 110W cannot compete with sun light in summer, plus I think the light wave length proportions are different.

Still, your flower is a bit pale and I think that is it the mostly cause of light. It looks from the flower more like G. hispidula 'Mkambati'.

Edited by Cephalotus