fresh Nepenthes seeds, when?

carnivoor

As I've done with Sarracenia and VFT's ,I want to raise a couple of Nepenthes plants from seeds before I try the big plants.

The trouble is I don't have a clue when there are fresh seeds available(higland plants).

When I checked Ebay I found that some of the (fresh) seeds on there have been offered for weeks(maybe longer) and therefore can't be all that fresh anymore.

So is there a period when fresh highland seeds are available or do they make seeds all year round?

BTW, I have the same question for Ceph seeds.

I agree - growing Nepenthes from seed, is something to try AFTER you have experience of growing Neps. They are slow (think years, before you have even a small plant), and they are less forgiving of incorect conditions.

Fresh seeds of different species are available sporadically throughout the year - but only from 1 or 2 sellers. The vast bulk of seed offered on eBay is OLD.

I agree - growing Nepenthes from seed, is something to try AFTER you have experience of growing Neps. They are slow (think years, before you have even a small plant), and they are less forgiving of incorect conditions.

Fresh seeds of different species are available sporadically throughout the year - but only from 1 or 2 sellers. The vast bulk of seed offered on eBay is OLD.

I have grown Sarrs and VFT's from seed so I can be patient.

But since fresh seeds are hard to come by I'll proably try a bigger plant, the only problem now is what species?

The plant would have to grow on a windowsill (south with 6-7 hours of full sun,unless it's a year like this year :biggrin: ) and from reading on these forums I get the impression that highlanders would be best for that.

I tried to find a list for highlanders/lowlanders but I can't seem to find one(lots of lists with location of the plants), so can anyone recommend an easy Nepethes for indoors?

I would recommend N.bokorensis as an easy windowsill plant, it is tolerant of temps from 10 to 40c, it is happy in low humidity and it can survive the odd spell of drought (unintentional), grows very quickly in most light conditions and is quite an attractive plant.

Easy peasy!