Aldrovanda 'Lake Dlugie, Eastern Poland'

vic brown

A couple of months ago, Rob Howe (Rob-Rah on CPUK) kindly organised a group purchase of turions of this plant from the Czech Republic. I'm growing mine outside in a well-established, mini-pond (a large plastic tub), which already had a couple of aquatic Urtics growing in it as well as various other aquatic plants. The only change I made in the growing conditions was to add a handful of reed Phragmites litter. Of the six turions I purchased, at least 5 survived and broke dormancy (there might be a sixth plant growing in the tangled mess of vegetation somewhere!). They started growing within days of planting (floating!) and after a few weeks of producing leaves with no traps, are now behaving well and most plants have started to fork, which means more plants! :)

How did the others that also bought this one get on and what conditions are you growing it in?

Aldrovanda vesiculosa, 'Lake Dlugie, Eastern Poland'

Aldrotemp1.jpg

Aldrotemp2.jpg

Cheers

Vic

Mine are about 8 inches long and branching, plenty of traps.

I have had algae issues as they are very well lit and warm in the greenhouse. It seems to have reached a kind of equilibrium now though. There is still algae but the Aldrovanda is growing faster than it and coping ok (I hope).

Mine is in a plastic household storage box in a greenhouse with companion plants of typha minima, carex panicea and eichornia crassipes (gets thinned out regularly to stop the light from being blocked out). Strangely the algae seems to start on the sedge litter on the bottom before moving into the water at large.

They get a daphnia "injection" every month or so.

Guest Sheila

Mine are doing well, they are branching out, and my glass bowl looks quite packed. I have another Aldrovanda that gets a couple of hours of direct sunshine in the morning. It is a constant battle to keep it free of filamentous algae, which hangs on the plants, eventually dragging them down to the bottom of the tank. I also noticed that the daphnia were getting caught up in algae and the traps were unable to feed. It has been a difficult task to clean it all off. Because of this I decided to keep the lake Dlugie ones in more shaded conditions.

I have found that keeping them in less light they seem to grow better for me and the algae does not form so readily. They are on a windowsill that gets early morning sun, but a honeysuckle outside, blocks any direct sun in one corner, so they stay there. The light is good but not too bright and so far there are no signs of algae. :D

• 3 years later...

Vic,

Under the best conditions Aldrovanda from Lake Dlugi can grow up to 20 cm and making nice branches. My cultivated plants did never get that long but I have seen them recently at a secred site where they where that long and looking beautifull. Never seen them that good in culture! And zero algae!

But to imitate its optimal natural habitad is not easy I guess.

Regards,

Alexander