Poor pitcher production in S. leucophylla

MikeP

Hi

Anyone have any idea why my S. leucophyllas are refusing to produce 'proper' pitchers? They are forming small and barely open pitchers instead of the usual large Autumn crop. Weather related? Need repotting?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by MikeP

Yes they would normally now be making a show of pitchers but with the last two harsh winters and cranky summer weather some plants are unusualy large and others retarded so pleasure and dissapointment in balance for the last two seasons.

We will all just have to hold out until next season and hope we get things back to normal next spring.

Edited by Ian Salter
  • Like 1

I did wonder if it was due to very poor ammount of summer sun we have had this year in the SE. Flowering was normal but two of the plants did stay outside through last winter and made a slow start to the year so maybe it is a series of events which has resulted in poor late season growth. Oddly the Darlingtonias (wrong thread I know) have had a teriffic year and the one in my CP Belfast sink garden now threatens to take over its more sedate companions so its definitly horses for courses.

Stability and as much warmth and sun as possible seem to be key. You could try repotting over the winter, but that might knock them back until 2013, depending on how sulky the clone is. I don't like to buy bare root leucos outside winter and early spring.

A good feasting is also useful. My leuco pitchers were rammed full through August.

Hi Alexis

Just examined the old pitchers and they seeme to be full. They stand next tothe pond and this seems to generate a good supply of insects. Sun and warmth they have lacked as we have had the most miserable Augusts on record when it comes to sunshine.

The large ones fill 8" or 10" pots so could probably do with a repotting sometime soon.....they all came from a packet of CPS seed bought at Chelsea in the mid 1990's. Suprisingly for a novice I obtained a very high germination rate and have kept the best looking half dozen or so. Some are inside a greenhouse and the others live outside. Oddly neither set seems keen on producing late pitchers.