Summer Blooms

maxxima

Oh Andreas, I don't know whether we are lucky or not - Hottest summer in Istanbul EVER, it's crazy...I can barely sleep. Sometimes I go two days in a row without sleeping, that's how bad it is...Supposedly it's coming down next week, we can't wait...

But yeah, as you can imagine, the cacti and succulents are having a blast. Most of mine are setting seed pods right now so they are making few flowers.

Guest Andreas Eils

*Coughing* Seed pods? Do you coincidentally also have some Huernia species making seed pods? :whistling:

Maybe I want to try raising Huernia from seed when I´m in "Little Anatolia" (you know what I mean :wink: )!

Uuuh...HOTTEST summer in Turkey ever?!?!! :shock: I guess I don´t want to know HOW HOT that is!!! ;o) My condolences. You should perhaps put towels soaked in menthol solution for a few minutes in the freezer and lay these onto your skin... Not? It was just an idea! :D

I hope to see more of your wonderful Asclep plants in bloom. Thankfully "smellable internet" hasn´t been invented yet! :happy:

I´m moving next Saturday! If everything works fine I´ll have internet connection again in August. :-)

Seeya

Andreas

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Andreas Eils

Now I have something to boast my dear Anıl! :on_the_quiet:

Four Ceropegia species in flower! There are creatures which can rival carnivorous plants...hehehe...for sure these lantern flowers can! My Ceros seem to really enjoy the balcony: Lots of fresh air and bright light!

Here we go:

gallery_1944_362_76738.jpg

Ceropegia carnosa - a real weed among Ceros! Lovely hairy flowers! :heart:

gallery_1944_362_121813.jpg

C. ballyana which causes me a little headache! But very beautiful flowers!

gallery_1944_362_17779.jpg

Ceropegia denticulata - love the long bristles at the top! Strangely all tips of the lamp shades of these flowers are divided! :-S Never seen that on any other photos of this species!

gallery_1944_362_5069.jpg

C. haygarthii - one of my favourites! Prominent laminated brush at the tip of the lamp shade! :D

Special thanks to Maik for the layers he sent me! :tu:

Bye 4 now

Andreas

Edited: Oh, by the way, I think I should mention these pictures were made with a digital snapshot camera! By far not the same good quality of my old analogue camera. :o(

Edited by Andreas Eils
  • Like 1

Wow Andreas! First of all, congratulations about the new flat, I hope you can grow even more species there.

I love C. Ballyana the most, very interesting flower. Carnosa looks interesting as well. Can you please take a photo of the whole plants when you can some time ? Your growing corner would be great.

Istanbul is very hot and humid, I do believe now that the end of days is getting near heh. But of course my nepenthes and cacti&succulents are doing very fine. Even truncata x veitchii is pitchering outside on the balcony which was a big surprise.

I have no Ceropegia species now and my succulent list has gotten much smaller, trying to keep things tidy and make more room for nepenthes.

Guest Andreas Eils

Hello Anıl,

unfortunately I currently have massive problems to access the CPUK forum. The server connection is always interrupted and I don´t know exactly why. I´m not sure if I can use CPUK in the future at all.

Let´s post these few sentence to see what happens....

Edited by Andreas Eils

Guest Andreas Eils

Aha! After five days I am able to set a post again. :morons: *siiiigggghhhhh* My nerves are at the bottom!

Well, in fact my available growing space on my balcony is already filled! :o( What has become of your Ceropegia woodii? :ohmy: Dead? Your Lithops looks great! I have none which is that big! Some species split very easily and almost each year when they renew their lobes. L. dinteri is one of them, Otzeniana also divides quite soonly in its life. Unfortunately I have managed to boil some of my youngest seedlings even on a cloudy day! :eek: The small bodies (actually still the cotyledons!!) turned white over night! The sun could have shone only for 10 minutes at a stretch, mostly only for a few minutes. That was enough for these poor little gems which have been raised below artificial light! It is the third time I have a total loss of L. karasmontana ssp. bella, L. karasmontana ssp. eberlanzii and L. werneri! :wall3: Man, it makes me so sick!!!!!

Yes, next time I get the digital snapshot camera of my stepfather I can make images of the whole plant. C. haygarthii flowers very well at the moment. And there´s also Huernia volkartii in flower.

Have a good weekend in hot Istanbul! ;o)

Cheers

Andreas

Edited by Andreas Eils

• 2 months later...

this one didn't bloom last year. i thought it was going to skip this summer as well but here it is...very late bloomer. it has a strong scent and little pointy hairs (like pins) that sway with the wind...very interesting!

stapeliacicek.jpg

closeup of the hairs (a fly has already left its larva...silly thing)

stapeliayakin.jpg

and here's my lithops after the summer break,

lithops.jpg

Edited by maxxima

Conophytum is a real wintergrower,lithops grow in late summer and autum.The are arround 100 different looking conophytum,conophytum have normally not pure yellow flowers ,all yellow flowered conos are crossings or some habitat forms.The fower is also different,i think you can find match info on the internet abouth conophytum,it s a whole different genus,

Cheers Will

Edited by will9

Guest Andreas Eils

Iyi geceler, Anıl!

Wow, a really nice yellow flowering Stapeliad! What is it exactly? An Orbea? Yuk, if flies lay eggs on these flowers, too, then their smell must be indeed terrible. :sick:

Ah, yes, your "Lithops" also reminds me on a Conophytum! :D

And how are the other things going?

Cheers!

Andreas

Will thanks much for the information. I don't know about these plants, it's interesting to learn they are different species. I remember reading they are wintergrowing but that's all I knew. I will also make some research after this and get myself a real lithops :)

Iyi geceler Andreas :)

this one is an Orbeopsis Lutea. it was the only one who didn't flower and now that i've finally seen its flowers, i can safely throw it out :P

nothing new in my cacti/succulent collection, but i gave some of the old ones away. s hirsuta, orbea v., s gigantea, orbeopsis lutea and 1 more unid are all i have now. my final aim is to get an Edithcolea Grandis. after that, my cacti/succulent collection will probably be complete.

as for CPs; i got rid of the drosera/sarracenia bunch and increased my nepenthes collection. it was for the best as i don't want to buy pure water anymore. my nepenthes collection is complete as well except Robcantleyi - that's the final one i need.

and my d. lusitanicum plants are doing good, still got 5 plants.

how are things with you ? i am curious about your succulent collection, anything new ?

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi Anıl!

Hui, Edithcolea grandis!! That would be a dream for me, too! I´d need to create a complete different set-up only for this plant! A dry and warm frame. I guess you know the stories of sudden rotting of E. grandis during cooler and more humid conditions. It seems to be a big challenge. All the best to you when you start with it. :tu:

:ohmy: Only FIVE plants of D. lusitanicum left? What has become of the other 500? ;-)

Ceropegia ballyana and C. denticulata are still flowering though the light conditions at my living room window are bad! And yes, the C. carnosa is also flowering like mad - it uses to do so! ;-) However since it is cooler I´m struggling with C. haygarthii. :( Giving a little water is bad, no watering is bad either! :dry:

I don´t have new succulents. I just go on trying to raise Lithops from seed.

Before I can grow more Ascleps I have to install additional lights - in front of my kitchen window and in front of my living room window...which I can´t afford at the moment.

Güle güle

Andreas

Hi everybody, these plants are amazing, does anybody know a reputable seller where UK growers could buy them?

I had a Conophytum (possibly obcordellum) but I didn't know how to care for it and it died. I also have a Frithia pulchra which is a great little succulent plant but, although it survives from year to year, I don't see it growing much. I water it like a cacti and it's kept in a south facing windowsill in a central heated room. If you have experience of this plant any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gaz

Frithia pulchra:it s like most succulents,it s not a roomplant,it must have a winterrest,in winter just above freezing point ,max 10° and no water,it s a very slow growing plant.

Watering like cactus?Wat it s mains for you ?Cactus is also not a roomplant,very difficult to grow the whole year on roomtemps,plants are grow in winter and got higher and smaller whit time ,never flower and got weaker till she died,cactus and succulents are very hard plants,so you can grow this in a room for several years.

I allways give the advice for this plants ,watering from mars till end october and if you can place outside in full sun( a south window is also OK)

No water(not a drup !) and cool temps between october and mars(light is not important in this time ,plants not grow anymore ,she are sleeping),this is the way you must grow these plants if you want strong ,nice and healty flowering plants,i hope this will help a bit,

cheers Will

A few pics first is Frithia,there are 2 different forms ,this are booth forms(7cm pot) ,second pic is a cono(5 cm ) very small heads,this are abouth 10 years old plants

I hope i may post this on your topic Maxxima?growers can see wat Frithia is .

1ros9h.jpg

14nkzdw.jpg

Edited by will9

Hi Will, thank you for the info, very interesting, I'll have to have a rethink about my conditions I think.

...and Maxxima I apologise for hijacking your topic.

Regards

Gaz

Hey guys!

Of course, please feel welcome to post anything. Those are great plants and some valuable info. I love your plants Will, you have definitely increased my interest in conophytum and lithops. I can't wait to get more species this winter.

Ps. Feel free to post pics of your collection if you feel like it, I would love to see them.

Hi Anıl!

Hui, Edithcolea grandis!! That would be a dream for me, too! I´d need to create a complete different set-up only for this plant! A dry and warm frame. I guess you know the stories of sudden rotting of E. grandis during cooler and more humid conditions. It seems to be a big challenge. All the best to you when you start with it. :tu:

:ohmy: Only FIVE plants of D. lusitanicum left? What has become of the other 500? ;-)

Ceropegia ballyana and C. denticulata are still flowering though the light conditions at my living room window are bad! And yes, the C. carnosa is also flowering like mad - it uses to do so! ;-) However since it is cooler I´m struggling with C. haygarthii. :( Giving a little water is bad, no watering is bad either! :dry:

I don´t have new succulents. I just go on trying to raise Lithops from seed.

Before I can grow more Ascleps I have to install additional lights - in front of my kitchen window and in front of my living room window...which I can´t afford at the moment.

Güle güle

Andreas

Hi dear Andreas!

Yes I have had a bad experiene with Edithcolea Grandis. It grew perfectly during the summer, got really big and vigorous but rotted immediately during fall. The rot came so quickly that I couldn't even notice it until it was too late.

I got cuttings and managed to get them all to root on top of the radiator. Sadly none of them survived after I potted them individually, I failed again.

I think I get it now though, Edithcolea really loves the heat. It should be able to survive the winter indoors near the radiator so that's what I'm gonna do when I get it again...

Growing lithops from seed sounds very fun. You and Will have peaked my interest in this family, I will get a few new species soon. Best of luck with your seedlings!

Guest Andreas Eils

Congratulations, Anıl! :Laie_98:

All the best to your next trial with Edithcolea grandis! I´ll see if there´ll ever be a chance for me to grow this fantastic plant! Maybe in ten years.... :laugh:

Growing lithops from seed sounds very fun

For Will perhaps, for me not! There´s still something going wrong for me...but my conditions aren´t just good enough, that´s the problem!

Andreas

• 2 months later...
Guest Andreas Eils

Anıl, Anıl, Anıl!!!!!!

Have you ever sown Ceropegia seeds? :wacko: A seed capsule of my C. denticulata opened yesterday!!!!!! They need to be sown when they are fresh, right? And surely they need it comfortably warm to sprout! Can they take high humidity? Would need to place the pot inside the lowland tank....

Any advices?

My Ascleps are all suffering under the dull days this season! It´s time spring approaches.... ;o)

And how are your "green babies"?

Best regards

Andreas

Argh, I've never sown or grown ceropegia seeds Andreas, sorry :( Come to think of it, I've never sown any succulent / cacti seeds, not even the seeds i've collected from my own plants.

My ascleps are doing fine, we're finally having some sunny days after the snow storm. No addition to my asclep collection but I have a San Pedro cactus now :)

Oh and I finally have a "true" lithops :P I will take its photo soon.

Oh! My cymbidium has just bloomed for the first time, the flowers haven't opened yet though. Pics coming soon.

Guest Andreas Eils

Selam Anıl,

you have NOT sown any Ascleps seeds so far?! :blink: That´s hard to believe! lol Okay, thankfully Maik has given me a little advice. We suppose it will be a hybrid of C. denticulata and C. haygarthii as both flowered at the same time on my balcony. And most likely a wasp or fly pollinated both plants. There are also seed capsules on the C. haygarthii. Honestly I have no idea where to put another pot with seeds as I have already run out of space! All the balcony dwellers (Lithops and Co. and some sundews) are in my sleeping room now as outside it is freezing. Let alone Ceropegia seeds have to be kept nicely warm and bright! *argh!* But somehow I need to try.... :wink:

San Pedro cactus? Echinopsis pachanoi? :sick: Uh, such an ugly plant... duck and run.... ;o) I thought you wanted to purchase Edithcolea grandis? :on_the_quiet:

Cymbidium needs temperatures below 17°C to flower, doesn´t it? Decades ago I had a C. Angelica 'Advent' with marvellous flowers. I refused to heat my room to keep the flowers. Until I got sick! Then I turned on the heating and the flower buds fell from the inflorescence... :cray:

Yes, yes, please post pics! *thumb up*

Seeya

Andreas

Edited by Andreas Eils

• 5 months later...

Edithcolea Grandis, we meet again !

After failing three times, I think I now understand this plant (I'd like to think so...). So here is my fourth try in two different pots, mixes and locations.

Will I ever see it flower ?

ywfj.jpg

p7zd.jpg

Edited by maxxima
  • Like 1