miniature orchids....

amphirion

If you are looking for orchids this vendor goes to shows all over the world. Ill post a link to their upcoming shows, and also to their species list. Ive bought plants off of them many time, and each time I have been more than satisfied.

Upcoming Shows:

http://www.ecuagenera.com/epages/whitelabel4.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ecuagenera/Categories/Lectures_Exhibitions

Species List:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=1llGWop1bhcCCM6j1A_GwlX4ecz49fYonqbBBI0R4YLKzhRyTP_8UgNJ7IxTs&hl=en&authkey=CKuOgvYH&pli=1

If these guys are in Ecuador, does that mean that ordering from them is out of the question for a Brit?

that's not playing fair! wistuba doesn't go on tours selling nepenthes and heliamphora in the States! why do you europeans get all the fun!?

Hey - and you Americans have all those great plants just growing in your backyards ! :wink:

Thanks for the ID :smile:

@inactivemoth: perhaps... you have pretty much 3 choices if you order online:

1) have the proper paperwork and import permits to receive the plant directly....

2) wait until they tour in your country, where they ship it to a localized contact who distributes it to you (like Wistuba in the states)

OR

3) you can directly pick up your plants from the flower/garden show that they are touring in....

at least....that's how it works here....

@martin: you mean sarracenia, and vfts? lol....

1) you guys by FAR have your sarracenia collections down to a T when it comes to location data, forms, and such...sure the US is probably the main propagator of outstanding hybrids, but i can only think of meadowview as being the main contender...

2) yeah, we've got VFTs in the wild, but you guys are the ones that are making those freaky TC clones that everybody wants....

3) petiolaris drosera, tuberous drosera, south american drosera, orchidoides utricularia, heliamphora, nepenthes--your side of the pond commercially propagates all these coveted rare species of carnivorous plants like hotcakes....the US has NOTHING, and the only way to get these plants is by importing them from you guys! NOT FAIR! laugh2.gif

Edited by amphirion

@martin: you mean sarracenia, and vfts? lol....

Yes - and Darlingtonia ... how far away was your next location? :wink:

And Heliamphora ...I have heard once, that they all come from the Americas...same as the orchidioides Utricularia...

the US has NOTHING, and the only way to get these plants is by importing them from you guys!

hmm - sounds like a promising business idea...

@martin: i look forward to the day, when i no longer need to purchase rare species from Europe, but rather from people within my own country. from what i can recall....a helicopter ride to the tepuis costs $1500 USD per hour. granted fuel is cheap there, but one is not just paying for the trip to the tepuis but also to the refueling station...collecting orchidioides utrics and heliamphora easier said than done...not to mention all the tepuis are national parks and therefore protected sites....:P

but i digress ;) i have a few more orchids to share with you all....then there will probably be only 2 or three more species that will bloom for me by the time winter approaches...

platystele beatricis:

IMG_2827.jpg

pleurothallis herpestes:

IMG_2822.jpg

lepanthes nycteris:

IMG_2815.jpg

masdevallia limax:

IMG_2835.jpg

Edited by amphirion

I hate to keep asking questions, but I might be expanding into a larger terrarium. I was gonna mount some orchids on bark, and I was wondering if I could keep a restrepia. Possible? :confused:

Lovely looking plants!

The L. nycteris looks like an alien, and that Pleuro is a beauty too. It is fascinating how nature can come up with these things. Your L. telipogoniflora bring back memories to a rather nice specimen that I had years ago. I got D. laevifolium also, but they don't look as good as your right now.

Regards,

Christer

@noah: very possible....you could even grow them outside of the terrarium. in fact all of my plants are grown on the wall of my windowsill....there is a humidity tray at the bottom. so the conditions on the egg crate rack go from wet to dry from bottom to top, and cool to warm(ish) from right to left... the mounts are also packed closely together to raise the ambient humidity as well.

IMG_1379-1.jpg?t=1312435633

@christerb: thanks very much!

Guest Andreas Eils

:shock: WTF! Hardly imaginable for me I could grow them the same way! In fact I have when I was a kid! But I hadn´t had much success as low humidity causes the orchids to grow too slowly to complete their annual growth cycle. :thumbsdown:

BTW: The Pleurothallis with herpes looks very beautiful despite its "illness" ;-)

Yes, Martin is actually wrong! You Americans have a good reason to be envious about us Europeans. Wanna know why? All your nice boggy meadows full of impressive Sarracenia pitchers will disappear soon as will the spectacular places with thousands of Darlingtonias due to lack of protection of these areas... :on_the_quiet:DUCK and RUN...

:flag_of_truce:

I´m just a cynic, don´t hate me!

I really hope you´ll manage to keep your nice habitats of CPs!

And please keep on showing us your orchids! :tu:

Andreas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hello all. time for a little update. a few more orchid spikes have opened for me and there looks like a few dendrobium flowers maybe be making their debut in a few months. until then:

masdevallia nidifica:

IMG_3114-1.jpg

ceratostylis philippinensis?

IMG_3116-1.jpg

stelis flexuosa

IMG_3123.jpg

stelis/pleurothalis mystax

i know i posted this one before, but i cant get enough of it. so abstract shaped with bold contrasting colors. cant be beat!

IMG_3132.jpg

and......

a developing orchid(ioides): utricularia jamesoniana

IMG_3146.jpg

Guest Andreas Eils

very interesting, I see how it got its species name!

:sarcastic_hand:

Amphirion,

fantastic orchid flowers - particularly the scaphosepalum swertifolium! :shock: Very good job! *applause*

Greetings

Andreas

• 1 month later...

its been a while....time for more pictures? ;)

trichosalpinx chamaelepanthes "red"

6706536457_c2e4cee926_o.jpg

dendrobium rigidum

6706536501_86e9943e9c_o.jpg

almost killed this one....masdevallia decumana

6803506431_9a60261129_o.jpg

cadetia chionatha again

6883305467_a46a29f92a_o.png

a much better developed scaphosepalum swertifolium "pink" flower

6883305541_8cc346fc1e_o.png

dendrobium aberrans

6883305619_69aaed6b76_o.png

more to come in the future...i think. thanks for taking a look.

@Noah: well, maybe just a tiny bit more---actually, there's quite a few orchids in my possession that have not bloomed for me...i wont post rebloom pics unless they are significantly more impressive than past blooms. :)

@Daniel: thank you very much sir. M. decumana is my favorite as well. such large flowers for such a small plant!

IMG_1379-1.jpg?t=1312435633

What...is...this......Simply amazing. This has to be one of the best threads ever.

I am like your old self before you went up to 60 species in a year. I love orchids but that fever hasn't caught me yet. There was this one time when it got very very close when I was in the army in Cypruss and when I discovered bee orchids in the forest. I remember that day very well as I was amazed at their strange beauty, should be one of the exceptional sights of my life. I discovered a few more species during my stay there but sadly I don't know their names. Wild orchids are such a nice surprise.

Totally loving your photos, please share more whenever.