miniature orchids....

amphirion

thanks for compliments everyone. i do try to bring my best to the table!

in light of the season, i've come bearing some new photos. :)

dryadella albicans

8301187843_cafebe9bbf_b.jpg

dracula exasperata

8302240450_4125472f53_b.jpg

restrepia iris

8298235432_e0dcc61f9c_b.jpg

haraella odorata

8297186295_5c79497dda_b.jpg

pleurothallis herphestus

8298235790_4e5a307aec_b.jpg

porroglossum sergioi

8298236336_96e5ebafa3_b.jpg

as always, thanks for taking a look and merry christmahanukwanzaa everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

a somewhat restricted color palette to start off the new year, but beautiful regardless....

scaphosepalum swertifolum

8389975659_d42e0e883e_b.jpg

masdevallia decumana

8389975759_35f3d13d80_b.jpg

another dryadella albicans shot, no more flowers in a while after this...

8391059624_0cbdfa1134_b.jpg

trisetella hoejerii

8391059628_e56c10c760_b.jpg

maxillaria schunkeana

8324773760_1d2a5d3315_b.jpg

Edited by amphirion

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi Amphirion,

haha...that Maxillaria schunkeana looks like a miniature tortoise! With a very small head but huge front legs! :woot:

Scaphosepalum swertifolum still looks intriguing. And the Masdevallia is just lovely! Really, I love your miniature orchids! I wish I could grow more of them!

Cheers

Andreas

Edited by Andreas Eils

thanks very much Andreas, out of all the orchids in my collection, Maxillaria schunkeana is the only one the has black flowers, so it holds a special place in the collection. and you should grow more of them--the nicer specimens are much easier to find where you are in comparison to the States.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

it's been a while since i last shared, but now i come bearing new gifts!

lepanthopsis astrophora 'stalky'

10771507424_35edf6d117_b.jpg

dendrobium subuliferum

10984584725_a7cf79e307_b.jpg

dracula lotax

10984757894_52f255c716_b.jpg

the ever photogenic dendrobium cuthbertsonii

10771451686_9ef1ef337d_b.jpg

and the following needed a photo session of it's own: lepanthes camprimulgus

10984797473_49815f215c_b.jpg10984676146_6e77e0a1ac_b.jpg10984797043_ee9684b004_b.jpg

thanks so much for taking a look!

• Like 2

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Please stop that!!!!!!!!

My girlfriend does not want me to bring too many plants, and the issue with this thread is that now I WANT TO GET A LOT MORE!

Well, since they are miniatures, maybe I can negotiate something... I think I'll have to cook for the next 6 months!

More seriously, thank you very much for making me discover these fantastic species.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Please stop that!!!!!!!!

My girlfriend does not want me to bring too many plants, and the issue with this thread is that now I WANT TO GET A LOT MORE!

Well, since they are miniatures, maybe I can negotiate something... I think I'll have to cook for the next 6 months!

More seriously, thank you very much for making me discover these fantastic species.

my job is to enable. wait until you stumble across some of my Bucephalandra. heheheheh...

Wow, real beauties, especially the Dendrobium subuliferum and Dendrobium cuthbertsonii.

What´s the size of the Dendrobium subuliferum flower?

hey Daniel. the flowers on D. subuliferum are about 2 cm from the base of the flower to the center sepal. cuthbertsonii is slightly larger: 3 cm

What an amazing collection of tiny jewels you have there Amphirion, and so beautifully photographed. Thanks for sharing them all with us. :Laie_95:

• Like 1

I hope I didn't miss any info that was shared before (and excuse for my beginner question), but do you simply attach the orchids to the cork bark? Or do you add some stuff in between, to keep moisture?

I hope I didn't miss any info that was shared before (and excuse for my beginner question), but do you simply attach the orchids to the cork bark? Or do you add some stuff in between, to keep moisture?

your assumptions are correct. orchids are attached to the bark with fishing line and long-fibered sphagnum are applied, though the amount of sphagnum used depends on the individual moisture tolerance of the species. most pleurothallids enjoy moist conditions all day long as long as the media is barely wet by the time night falls.