miniature orchids....

amphirion

dont know if many are interested in miniatures but for those who are, i'd like to share photos of plants in my collection that have bloomed for me this year...enjoy!

hello all.

i would like to share with you a few miniatures that have bloomed for me so far this growing season:

sigmatostalix ibis:

IMG_2658.jpg

dendrobium laevifolium:

IMG_2654.jpg

promenaea stapelioides:

IMG_1771.jpg

dendrobium cuthbertsonii:

IMG_1409.jpg

haraella odorata:

IMG_1749.jpg

macroclinum manabinum:

IMG_1747.jpg

stelis uniflora:

IMG_1411-1.jpg

dryadella liliputiana:

IMG_1404-1.jpg

phalanopsis parishii:

IMG_1722.jpg

dryadella simula:

IMG_1728.jpg

lepanthes telipogoniflora:

IMG_2673.jpg

porroglossum sergioi:

IMG_2764-1.jpg

thanks for taking a look. :)

• Like 1

thanks everyone for the kind comments.

@deadly weapon: D. cuthbertsonii is considered as one of the harder miniature orchids to cultivate...however, if you are a heliamphora grower, you should not have any problems with this plant, as it too, likes high humidity levels, moderate to high lighting, coupled with good ventilation, and nightly temperature drops. ;)

Edited by amphirion

Beautiful plants! I especially like the lepanthes telipogoniflora, it hardly looks like an orchid. Where do these plants grow naturally?

Beautiful plants! I especially like the lepanthes telipogoniflora, it hardly looks like an orchid. Where do these plants grow naturally?

thanks very much. nadja, most of the orchids that i grow are found in south america; columbia, ecuador, venezuela i believe are the dominant hotspots for the pleurothallid alliance, to which l. telipogoniflora belongs to.

others from australia, new guniea, and southeast asia are also found in my collection.

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi Amphirion,

...enjoy!

I did...very muchly actually! :good2:

Promenaea stapelioides is the most striking imho!

Looking forward for more pics!

I have just started to grow a few more orchids again. Two Masdevallia to be more precisely. One is the warmth loving Masdevallia nidifica from Costa Rica which could be considered a miniature orchid as well. The other one is Masdevallia ignea which thrives in my highland tank among highland Nepenthes. I was told I wouldn´t have success in growing montane orchids in a terrarium. They´d need a lot of fresh air and good air movement. So, I will install a ventilator soon.

Kind regards

Andreas

@andreas: i actually have masdevallia nidifica in my collection as well...however, i suspect that my conditions are either too dry or too cold to form, as the flowers have always aborted for me...however, the plant has grown wonderfully well. Good luck with growing yours as well!

I have grown masdevallias and lepanthes in terrariums with good success. The key was keeping temperatures low by placing lights high above the terrarium, and a strong fan installed inside the terrarium.

Amphiron: I grew my nidifica with temps of days ~75, nights ~60. Humidity was 70-80%.

M. nidifica

118899f9.jpg

c94458eb.jpg

L. gargoyla

286a8d30.jpg

Forgot to say, love the photos! especially that teli.

Edited by 31drew31

These posts have inspired me. I've always wanted to grow miniature orchids, as I like miniature plants in general. Problem is that I don't have the environment to do so or the room to have a large terrarium. So, I want to produce a small 'feature' for my living room, consisting of one plants for which I will provide a suitable environment (a mini terarrium). Given that it will be a single plant, I'm looking for suggestion of what might be suitable. Ideally it should flower for extended periods of time and be a true miniature. I can provide airflow, humidity (mist), lighting, elevated temperatures (if needed) - night time temperatures are naturally low here! Any suggestions to a suitable orchid?

@mobile@inactivemoth:

soo....bear with me, i'll tell you how i got hooked on these beauties....

up until two years ago, i really wasnt into orchids...most orchids sold at supermarkets were both large and lacked much shape and form....sure the colors were there, but im the kind of guy that liked extreme forms as well as color, and considering that all being sold were phal mutts, i dismissed orchids and kept to CPs instead...

however, a couple of friends of mine, both orchid fanatics--invited me to go along with their orchid group to visit a few orchid nurseries. since california carnivores happened to be one of their stops, i thought i would join along. it was then, where i was introduced into the world of miniature orchids...orchids not only in different shapes and forms, but with stunning colors and no larger than the size of my palm in certain cases. i was excited, but still resisted...i dont have enough space to grow orchids and CPs simultaneously, then i saw that many of the orchids in the greenhouse were mounted and could be hung on walls....that pretty much put the nail in the coffin. and within 2 years, i went from zero orchids to over 60 species! quite an addictive hobby indeed!

with that being said, the majority of the orchids in my collection would do very well with highland nepenthes...some stunners to consider are:

Masdevallia decumana: leaves of about 1.5" to 2", large flowers about 4".

Lepanthes camprimulgus: leaves about .5" on 1 to 1.5" stalks. stunning .5 inch striped flowers.

Stelis uniflora: compact, 1 inch leaves, .25" purple flowers

Trisetella hoeijeri: compact, 1 inch leaves, 1" flowers

Dendrobium cuthbertsonii: compact grower, stunning flowers...see my plant ;)

all of these do well in high humid and cool conditions as many highland nepenthes require. i dont know how available these plants are in europe, as i hear it is very hard to find them---i suppose the grass is greener on the other side...i envy your CP selection! happy growing!

@amphirion Thanks very much! If Lepanthes camprimulgus would work, would lepanthes telipogoniflora?

Anyway, you weren't lying - it seems pretty tough to find them so far... but I've only been searching for 5 minutes :D

Edited by TheInactiveMoth

@theinactivemoth: even though both bear the genus name "lepanthes" they are very much like nepenthes, with each species having their own specific requirements...in the case of L. camprimulgus, it is a highlander plant. L. telipogoniflora is more of a lowlander/warm intermediate...although they can be grown together, as i have grown them together... but i have a special case of conditions that allow me to do so (mediterranean climate)...

Edited by amphirion

Very nice! i love miniature plants, and miniature orchids. Beautiful plants and photos.

I have only one of these , with 6-7mm flowers, really sweet little tiny thing, and do not even know its name. Do you know its species name?

imgp4954.jpg

pic2cv.jpg

Regards

Martin

If you are looking for orchids this vendor goes to shows all over the world. Ill post a link to their upcoming shows, and also to their species list. Ive bought plants off of them many time, and each time I have been more than satisfied.

Upcoming Shows:

http://www.ecuagenera.com/epages/whitelabel4.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ecuagenera/Categories/Lectures_Exhibitions

Species List:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=1llGWop1bhcCCM6j1A_GwlX4ecz49fYonqbBBI0R4YLKzhRyTP_8UgNJ7IxTs&hl=en&authkey=CKuOgvYH&pli=1

Edited by 31drew31

Guest Andreas Eils

Wow...they´ll pay a visit in Germany really close to where I live! 1st - 4th March 2012 in Bad Salzuflen. Only 50 km away from me. :woot: Must keep that in mind!

Yes, in this thread a lot of nice diamonds of the flora have been shown! Could increase my appetite for orchids...*sigh*

Many greetings

Andreas

@martin: your plant's flower structure resembles very close to a sigmatostalix species. radicans would probably be my closest bet.

@andreas: now, now, now....that's not playing fair! wistuba doesn't go on tours selling nepenthes and heliamphora in the States! why do you europeans get all the fun!?