One flower stalk six scapes, One VFT 34 flowers

brad

Here are 2 pics of my VFT B10b, shot at two different angles.

VFT_B10b_flowering.jpg

The main flower scape divided to produce six scapes each with a cluster of flowers atop. A seventh flower scape arises from below the soil surface, it may be a seventh branch of the main flower scape or it may arise from the VFT individually.

This is a lot of branches for a single VFT flower scape.

Also in the photo are the 34 flowers this plant has produced.

If you have an interesting VFT, take a pic and post it.

6 scapes from 1 stalk, and 34 flowers on a single VFT, that’s a lot.

Take care,

Brad

Ventura California

Trev,

This VFT B10b has a single large inflorescence, that is a single flower scape arising from plant. One flower scape, that has above the rosette divided into six individual scapes. Again one flower stalk only. Trev does your VFT have one flower stalk?

Stephen,

I have crossed this VFT with all my other nice clones so many nice crosses will be forthcoming.

Nick,

Yeah, Peter D'Amato mentions that in his book. Haven’t reread Slack in awhile however. But when I visited Peter at California Carnivores his famous nursery, all the VFT were in full bloom, 100’s of VFT flowers, very impressive.

Brad

Ventura California

Hi Brad,

Yes it's one single flower stalk that divides into 15 flower scapes about half way up the length of the stalk, it then started to produce another single stalk but as the plant already looks exhausted I gave the second stalk the snip.

It's a plant I call 'Timmy's Giant' after a good friend of mine who had the original. The original produced the biggest trap I have ever seen, which was a fraction under 2 inches.

Trev. :roll:

Trev,

That is amazing 15 scapes from one, because I thought mine was amazing (still do) with one stalk dividing into 6 scapes.

Yours must be a real sight. Mine in full bloom looked more like a tree than a VFT. Also the large size of the single base stalk is very strong so the entire inflorescence remained straight upright, hardly any lean towards the sun whatever. Really quite nice and easy to pollinate everything.

When my seeds mature I will clip the stalk at the base so I can maybe get a better photo of the thing. Save your stalk too, so eventually you can get a pic of it, or take just the clipped stalk to a friend for a photo.

Very amazing 15 scapes from one. The usual published high number for flowers let alone scapes is 15 flowers, I find about 18-20 flowers per plant a better upper estimate.

Wow 15 scapes, and this definitely sounds like a special robust plant, keep us updated.

Brad

Ventura California

Hi Brad,

The flower stalk as you say looks more like a tree, it is thicker than a biro pen, each scape has only a single flower so 15 flowers in all, I'm crossing the flowers with other VFT's that are also in bloom, as well as selfing some. The poor plant hasnt grown a trap in 6 weeks now and the last one was under half an inch and there is no sign of any new shoot.

I realy hope it doesnt expire after its finished flowering.

I will takes some pictures with my 35mm camera and get the shots put onto CD when I get the film developed.

Trev. :shock:

Trev,

Your new information is very interesting. Pictures will be very helpful to better understand your plant's inflorescence.

If you have only a single flower atop each stalk, you may be seeing a flower atop its pedicel, which is normal for VFT.

My plant has one stalk, which has divided into 6 scapes each with a full cluster of several normal flowers.

If I cut the six stalks off from the single stalk, each in itself would be a perfect complete VFT inflorescence, each with multiple flowers atop.

We both seem to have VFT with incredible anomalous inflorescences, but with different anatomical form possibly.

Brad

Ventura California

Hi Brad,

If you look at your picture above on the right where your stem divides into 4, mine is the same as this, except it divides into fifteen, just above half way up and on the top of each is a single large flower.

Looks pretty impressive whatever it is.

Trev. :D

• 6 months later...
Guest Dave2150
Hi Brad,

The flower stalk as you say looks more like a tree, it is thicker than a biro pen, each scape has only a single flower so 15 flowers in all, I'm crossing the flowers with other VFT's that are also in bloom, as well as selfing some. The poor plant hasnt grown a trap in 6 weeks now and the last one was under half an inch and there is no sign of any new shoot.

I realy hope it doesnt expire after its finished flowering.

I will takes some pictures with my 35mm camera and get the shots put onto CD when I get the film developed.

Any updates on those pictures :D

Hi Dave,

I'd forgotton about that, I dont know what happened to the 35mm shots of the flowers, I gave my 35mm camera away when I bought the digital so I'm guessing the film was still in it. I did get one shot with the digital of the seed heads, here it is...

Timsgiantflrsm.JPG

Guest Dave2150

Oh my god :D

Now that is a sight Trev! :D

That must be a strong Vft - its growing well despite the wealth of energy it invested in that flower 'tree'!!!

Did it produce much seed? on a flower to flower basis compared to normal flowering vfts.

**Off topic** Trev are you using 100% peat for those vft?

By a strange coincidence I bumped into the woman I gave the camera to this weekend and she said "Oh I have some pictures for you from that camera you gave me", so when I get them I will post one up.

The plant is one I call Tim's Giant, a good friend of mine bought it in a garden shop about 5 years ago.

The seed was quite good, I had about 80% germination, I got some selfed seed and some crosses with 1979 and Spider.

Dave, I use peat and sand 50/50 by weight, sometime horticultural sand and sometimes local sand (which has no calcium) and sometime a mix of the two. I really dislike pearlite and vermiculite.

Guest Dave2150
May I ask, why do you hate perlite? I have been using it too and the VFT's do seem as robust when planted in it. Do you experience the same problem? Or is it just personal preference?

BTW your VFT's are awsome! Hopefully mine will be as good one day....

I tried perlite for one of my sw giants, and grew another sw giant (same size and age) in peat:sand. The perlite one was much weaker, and didnt grow as many vertical traps. Stay away is my advice!

Although many get great results with it, kind of a odd subject really.

Peter22 wrote:

May I ask, why do you hate perlite? I have been using it too and the VFT's do seem as robust when planted in it. Do you experience the same problem? Or is it just personal preference?

BTW your VFT's are awsome! Hopefully mine will be as good one day....

Hi Peter, Did you mean to say do NOT seem as robust?

My dislike of perlite etc is mostly esthetic, I think it looks horrible,

I've never used it on my plants so cant say what effect if any it has on VFT cultivation.

I try a range of different growing conditions and see which do the best under my conditions, I've been trying dryer more ventilated winter conditions this year and the VFT's seem happier.

Best of luck with yours,

Trev. :lol: