My Utric topic

Oleksii

Hello to all!

One seed of U. longifolia germinated approximately week ago. The question is:is it too early to plant it pot? And mix, composed of dead peat moss and perlit (1:1) covered with chopped moss, is suitable for further growing?

3a48012a470c.jpg

Edited by Oleksii

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tricome

I grow it too, in sphagnum.

I Have 1 pot growing as epiphytic and another growing with water level until the surface (each time i water it). Both thrive well, but only out of terrarium, it seems that the plant likes temperature droops at night.

img3215f.jpg

img3217ei.jpg

Edited by Tricome

• 4 weeks later...

I change a topic name to more general - I want to use it for all my questions.

I'm growing U.alpina and sandersonii nearly month and it's look like that alpina have adapted - new leaf appeared..

45bc0e554794t.jpg

But question about sandersonni is the main - what is growing with it? I hope you can see narrow leaves between normal leaves of sandersonii (one uncommon plant is on foreground). Is it another species of utric or some weird leaves of sandersonii?

5493fc96c8cet.jpg

Edited by Oleksii

I grow it too, in sphagnum.

[...] another growing with water level until the surface (each time i water it).

I grew mine the same too, for a while, but then it started to develop purple patches on leaves and they become deformed. I suspect that it was fungal but it never stopped it from flowering every year. No amount of fungicide treatments would clear the patches. I now grow it on the drier side and the purple patches have gone.

I grew mine the same too, for a while, but then it started to develop purple patches on leaves and they become deformed. I suspect that it was fungal but it never stopped it from flowering every year. No amount of fungicide treatments would clear the patches. I now grow it on the drier side and the purple patches have gone.

Interesting - my plant did this too. Then i moved it directly under the spraying system of my greenhouse and made a protection from direct sunlight and the patches are gone. I thought that it was coused by low air humidity, but your experience is almost opposite to mine.

And my substrate experience - my plant grows the best in peat-perlite-sand mix (1:1:1).

I'm going to buy new Utrics :blanchetii, dichotoma and nephrophylla. First two are terrestrial but what about nephrophylla? Search shows that somebody grows it like terrestrial, other - like epiphytes(if I correctly understood). I think about two variants: peat:perlit 1:1 covered with moss or pure moss.

Upd. wiki says tat it's lithophytic, so, perhaps moss or even moss with perlit would be better...

Edited by Oleksii

But question about sandersonni is the main - what is growing with it? I hope you can see narrow leaves between normal leaves of sandersonii (one uncommon plant is on foreground). Is it another species of utric or some weird leaves of sandersonii?

I think it is a species of Arenaria, a common weed of cultivated plants, but difficult to see from your photo

• 2 weeks later...

This unknown plant is going to flower, so question "what is it" could be solved very soon.

I also noticed new leaves of alpina - it's quite hopeful. Does alpina need night drop of temperature or it can survive without this part of condition or it has vital important?

Edited by Oleksii

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My firs utric was grown from seed near year ago. it should be sandersonii, but it isn't, only bisqumata is suspected. This plant doesn't want to flower.

gallery_5950_494_14078.jpg

I know that there could be few reasons, for example light, but real sandersonii which I obtained week or two ago is going to do this.

But one of the possible reasons can be this strange things. Their colour is between light-brown and black. Have any idea of what it could be. It 100% is not plant.

gallery_5950_494_1556.jpg

Sorry, this photo is not very good quality, but better I will able to at the weekend.

One more photo:

gallery_5950_494_40707.jpg

Edited by Oleksii

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

My firs utric was grown from seed near year ago. it should be sandersonii, but it isn't, only bisqumata is suspected. This plant doesn't want to flower.

I had a lot of success with utrics. And I discovered that, many utircs require very high light to flower. Just be careful with bisquamata; it can become a noxious weed in your collections, especially if you are growing more demure kinds of utrics. Once I get bisquamata to flower, I pretty much tossed the pot because it was spreading everywhere. In my collection, it was spreading worse than subulata.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Few questions arose.

U. gibba started make globulas, it doesn't look usual way of growth - it is preparing to flowers or smth else? And it start be accreted by algae - is there any way to stop it?

gallery_5950_499_45206.jpg

Another question is about alpina. I grow it in closed chamber and after watering in mid of April it still is wet. Does it need become dryish or it only shouldn't be in water but just wet is OK?

I also try to grow humboldtii and nelumbifolia in closed jars with water. Have anybody grown them this way?

And question about clasification of sandersonii. There is white form and there is blue form. Is there any typical?

Thank you!

In addition photo of sandersonii and "closly" related orhcid Ionopsis utricularioides:)

gallery_5950_499_142164.jpg

Edited by Oleksii