Cephalotus Seed: 2011

loligo1964

In years past, I have typically planted Cephalotus seed in regular composts (http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121937&highlight=cephalotus+seed) and/or only briefly germinated them aseptically (in TC media). This time around, I have the opportunity of doing a bit of experimentation; not only are the seeds to be germinated in different tissue culture media; but half will also be cold stratified in the refrigerator through October -- next to the Guinness, Sriracha, homemade beer, Trichoderma, and a half-empty bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s (“The Sauce is the Boss”).

Below are shots of the hairy follicles, in which only a single seed -- embryo -- is carried, along with the dried remains of several flowers themselves -- as well as the seed in media. In the past, I have also gone to the extreme trouble of extracting them from the follicle covering; but I now leave that to those with far more patience than I possess and potent biocides . . .

Cephalotus follicularis -- 23 August

CFSEED.jpg

HGSEED.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! It seems there's very little knowledge behind germinating Ceph seeds consistently-looking forward to the results!

Were those seeds cross pollinated, or self pollinated?

Nice! It seems there's very little knowledge behind germinating Ceph seeds consistently-looking forward to the results!

Were those seeds cross pollinated, or self pollinated?

They were several crossed and or self-pollinated "Hummer's Giants" -- so there's plenty to work with . . .

• 4 months later...

Here is an update on one of several Cephalotus containers with the first sign of germination. This particular batch of seed -- sown 24 August 2011 -- was cold-stratified in the refrigerator ninety days prior to exposure to light in late November; and germination occurred approximately five weeks afterwards, shortly after New Year's Day. The media is a standard 2:3 Knudsen-C with NAA with a pH of 5.

Cephalotus follicularis "Hummer's Giant" F1

CF-6.jpg

• 2 months later...

Awesome! i have some Ceph seeds, none of them have germinated yet though, theyre in CP soil inside a propagater which is on most of the day no signs of life yet though =\ not sure if they will as its the first time ive tryed to grow them but i live in hope =P