Albomarginata in UK garden Centres ?!?!?!?

Phantom

I have plenty of new leaves on mine but the pitchers dont form. Any ideas why?

Short daylength maybe? My windowsill grown Nepenthes don't readily pitcher in the short winter days. I have my albomarginata under a 70W metal halide lamps, which is on for 14hrs/day and it regularly pitchers, though a little slow growing.

I have plenty of new leaves on mine but the pitchers dont form. Any ideas why?

Same problem like my.

Short daylength maybe? My windowsill grown Nepenthes don't readily pitcher in the short winter days. I have my albomarginata under a 70W metal halide lamps, which is on for 14hrs/day and it regularly pitchers, though a little slow growing.

Probably this be answer,short days. Can you say please, one of this gonna be alrightt? First choice

Second choice

Can i put this lamp to any lamp stand or need have some special ones? Thx

Edited by Tarek

Can i put this lamp to any lamp stand or need have some special ones? Thx

No, metal halide lamps need special control gear. Some people successfully grow plants under compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) though - usually daylight lamps.

You can't really give N. albomarginata or N. gracilis too much nature light. They would like to grow in the sun all day long, which is how they produce their largest and longest lasting pitchers. I've seen pitchers last in good shape for over nine months on N. a. Of course, strong lighting can lower the humidity, so be sure to raise it to keep the plants happy :)

How you increasing humidity without terrarium? I mean on window sil ? Spray more often? Maybe not bad idea, to put live sphagnum moss on top of substrate, what you think?

You can't really give N. albomarginata or N. gracilis too much nature light. They would like to grow in the sun all day long, which is how they produce their largest and longest lasting pitchers. I've seen pitchers last in good shape for over nine months on N. a. Of course, strong lighting can lower the humidity, so be sure to raise it to keep the plants happy :)

I've grown albomarinata for years in a terrarium that's mostly in bright shade and it does very well, pitchering all year round. In winter temps can get down to 10 C or lower. In one very hot summer with temps in the mid to high 40s C its growing point died, but it sent out a side shoot and recovered just fine.

The pitchers of this species have really thick, rigid walls and they last for a surprisingly long time, with the result that even a small plant can have quite a few pitchers at one time. Mine is the (boring) green form, but it's a very pleasant shade of green! Seriously, a very nice and easy lowlander. I wish I had more termites to feed it with.

Still haven't managed to find the B&Q form myself...

I agree with Mark, the red form from Wistuba seems impossible to get through winter without a fancy lighting set up.

However, I grew some very red ones from seed, and they seem to have pulled through with no special treatment. Well, apart from high humidity lowland conditions, that is.

The B&Q form has proved to be incredibly easy; the red wistuba form on the other hand is (very) difficult in the UK if anybody is tempted...

Well, that is important to note, the green forms do not need as much light. It’s the gray, red and purple forms that require the very strong light. I think there is a black one out there somewhere too, I would reckon this one also needs very strong light.

It is easy to boost humidity with a cool mist humidifier. Misting the plants is simply too temporary of an effect.

Hmm that's interesting that red form needs strong light. I have one, from Malaysia. It's quite a slow grower and still after a year from purchase it's still very small. Makes a pitcher in every leaf though. I had to lower the light level for N. Ampullaria in my terrarium, I hope that Albo doesn't mind that much...

Edited by pmatil

Hmm that's interesting that red form needs strong light.

I worked with fish tanks couple of years, and there be same, plants need extra light if they are Red.

Replay of my question, how do you think if i put live sphagnum moss on top of this nepenthes , are that thing improve humidity?

Edited by Tarek

Replay of my question, how do you think if i put live sphagnum moss on top of this nepenthes , are that thing improve humidity?

In my experience, if a plant is lacking humidity then a top dressing of Sphagnum moss makes no difference. The moss will most likely die if the humidity is too low anyway and even if it doesn't then the increase in the local humidity in an open area will negligible.

If it's the same clone as mine then I doubt that it is a humidity issue, as I grow mine on an open grow shelf and it pitchers just fine.

• 1 month later...