using just moss for planting

ctarry

hi

i am waiting for my delivery of n. rajah, ephippiata, and truncata (Pasian h/L)

i am finding it difficult to find peat, although i could go up to the moorland near where i live to get a little

I have read on here that some people use just sphagnum moss with no peat or anything else, and also some mix moss with perlite depending on what plants they have.

would the plants mentioned above be ok with just moss or mixed with perlite?

I will be using pond baskets to pot them up

I find if you can not get hold of peat then two very good mixes you can use is- 50/50 sphagnum moss and perlite or you can use a mix as i do for my neps is sphagnum moss/ perlite and orchid bark it hold some water but also gives very good drainage that neps likes. i hope thats some help to you. :thumbsup:

What size are the plants, and where will you grow them?

Neat moss (live) or with a bit of perlite is ok for small plants, but larger plants and larger pots will need something more, particularly rajah.

Whatever you use it must be open and airy, kept damp but not sodden.

I read this thread with interest. Every Garden Centre sells peat, is this type of peat no good for potting on Nepenthes? I used GS peat to pot mine on, they are looking healthy at the moment, and they have been in this mix for 2-3 months.

If I should have used a different type of peat, what should I do?

Sue, many grparden centres dont sell peat anymore and in some parts of the country its actually very hard to find at all. If your using a peat based compost just check it hasnt had fertilisers added. Miranda and the like do ok in pure peat but for some others the compost needs to be quite airy like with some orchids, otherwise the roots can rot.

Sue, many grparden centres dont sell peat anymore and in some parts of the country its actually very hard to find at all. If your using a peat based compost just check it hasnt had fertilisers added. Miranda and the like do ok in pure peat but for some others the compost needs to be quite airy like with some orchids, otherwise the roots can rot.

That is a relief, peat is still widely available down here. Both my Neps got potted on in a mixture of pure peat and orchid bark (I grow orchids too). My Sarracenias are in pure peat.