"Ravaged VFT" producing small traps

jimscott

I purchased a VFT last June and in spite of my newness to the CP hobby, it grew from having 1/2" traps to 1" traps. I successfully put it through dormancy and eased it back into light and warmth, before putting it outside. It began to reward my efforts by initiating two flower stalks.

Then, on Friday, since I was expecting a storm, I moved it and other plants, to what I thought would be safer location. On Monday, returning to work, I noticed that its traps and leaves were chewed to bits. One leaf was left. The stalks were gone. I moved my plants back to where they were previously safe and hoped for the best with the one VFT.

A month went by and no new growth appeared, nor did anything left green blacken. A couple weeks ago I finally saw new leaves emerging - from 2 or 3 locations. The leaves and traps are still developing at it appears that they will be significantly smaller than 1" or even 1/2". I'm extrapolating ~1/4". Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this phenomenon before?

sound like a bird or scrirel has got at the plants.

ive had similar last year.

if you havent allready then i would cut flower stalks off as the plant will put loads of energy into the seed making making it weeker.

i supose that as the tips were chewed off then this made the plant believe that the leaves were lost to frost so it might have made it stay sleepy as most plants havent been fully out of dormancy for to long yet.but dont quote me.

The traps will recover their size eventually. they will start off small after a shock like that and gradually build up to bigger ones as it regains its strength, it would do better in a greenhouse or polytunnel though if you have one.

Trev. :D