D. indica and relatives

Dear all,

despite poor light conditions on saturday I tried to make some shots of some of my different D. indica forms. Many pictures were taken without tripod and therefore many of those were just poor quality. Nevertheless, some were good enough to be posted here.

In addition to the D. indica Africa I grow for quite a few years already and which is quite a weed in my tropical utricularia pots, I have a collection of 10-15 different location forms growing this year.

As you will see throughout the picture series, D. indica is a very insect catcher, at least in my setup. I do not know whether this is also the case in nature, but others here will be able to comment on this.

I will start with the currently largest plants in my collection. This is a form from Undarra (described as "green giant"). As of now it seems that this one really may turn out to be a giant. The flowers of this one are purple.

These are my plants (about 20 cm in size, the upper leaves are 11-12 cm long):

D_indica_giant_Undarra_1.jpg

and its flower:

D_indica_giant_Undarra_2.jpg

Much smaller are my D. hartmeyerorum plants. Nevertheless, allthough still be small (1-2 cm in size), the plants already produce their typical features:

D_hartmeyerorum_SirJohn_1.jpg

For size comparison I would like to add that the legs and body (upper right hand side) belong to a moscito.

Back to D. indica. When comparing the different location forms it turns out that some have a red colour on the back of developing leaves and others do not. This is most obvious in a form I got with the location Beverly Springs:

D_indica_BerverlySprings1.jpg

This observation was initially the reason to take my camera and the macro lens despite the poor light conditions. Here is a closer look at the growth point:

D_indica_BerverlySprings2.jpg

The red colour comes from red organs covering the back of deloping leaves (in higher density closer to the stem) and the flower buds. They do not seem to have any dew so I do not know their purpose.

D_indica_BerverlySprings3.jpg

Finally, in this particular location form in some areas the backside of the leave also has some red colour.

D_indica_BerverlySprings4.jpg

The next D. indica I will show today is a form from Adcock River Crossing. According to the information I have this should be an oranged flowered form which I will hopefully be able to confirm soon. This one also has these red organs on the back of the developing leaves, allthough fewer of them.

D_indica_AdcockRiver_1.jpg

D_indica_AdcockRiver_2.jpg

D_indica_AdcockRiver_3.jpg

I hope you like the pictures.

Just to answer certain questions before people ask them:

• no, currently I do have spares of these plants (only the D. indica Africa not shown here). Once my plants have grown a little more I may be able to spare few single plants of some of them. Seeds will become available starting in september and later.
  • I grow these plants under the same conditions I use for tropical utricularia (U. fulva to name one example): top shelf in my "wintergarden". The temperatures will be above 40°C on hot sunny days, on grey and cool (summer) days the temperatures will be more in the 20-25 °C region. Watering will be up to substrate level followed by drying out until the tray is dry.
  • The seeds were sown in late spring last year (2010). As only few seeds germinated last year I kept all pots dry during winter and watered them again when the temperatures started to rise in spring.

Cheers

Dieter

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

I got the new Lowrie books, if you want we can now ID your plants.  For example, this is Drosera serpens.

http://home.arcor.de/dieter.kadereit/CP_pictures/D_indica_BerverlySprings2.jpg

This isn't Drosera indica and I believe the location isn't called "Beverly Springs" either, but "Charnley River Station".

Edited by Dave Evans

I got the new Lowrie books, if you want we can now ID your plants.  For example, this is Drosera serpens.

http://home.arcor.de/dieter.kadereit/CP_pictures/D_indica_BerverlySprings2.jpg

This isn't Drosera indica and I believe the location isn't called "Beverly Springs" either, but "Charnley River Station".

Hi Dave,

I just checked briefly last weekend and this indeed seems to be a D. serpens now. But I will check it again once I have a little time. There will be many name tags to be updated...

However, I am not sure why you say that the location is different. Do you have a specific reason for this?

Cheers

Dieter

• 1 year later...

The above plant with red emergences is now called Drosera cucullata, not D. indica and not D. serpens. It sounds funny, however, with the new names no D. indica exists in Australia anymore. Only in Asia ... maybe in Africa. That does not mean, that D. indica cannot be there, maybe it was just not found until now :-). Beside all confusing names: great photos Dieter!