Pinguicula villosa, P. vulgaris, D. rotundifolia in Røros, Norway

Today I visited two fens (nutrient rich bogs) in Røros, Norway where Pinguicula villosa can be found.

For those who don't know, Pinguicula villosa is a tiny butterwort found in subarctic and arctic North America and Eurasia. In Norway it's found north from from mideast Norway. It prefers Sphagnum fuscum tussocks near the tree line.

(You can click on the pictures to see them in 1600x1200 resolution.)

First view of the first site, around 690 meters above sea level (the tree line in Røros is at maybe 900 meters above sea level). Many Pinguicula vulgaris, just like everywhere else on these two fens.

P1000630.JPG

P. vulgaris.

P1000633.JPG

P1000636.JPG

Overview of the first site.

P1000638.JPG

P1000639.JPG

I found a few flowering P. vulgaris.

P1000647.JPG

After lots of walking around and kneeling down to have a very close look at the Sphagnum tussocks, I found P. villosa. Look at the moss for scale, these are really tiny plants.

P1000651.JPG

P1000653.JPG

Can you spot the P. villosa?

P1000654.JPG

The P. villosa is on the mid left of the picture.

P1000655.JPG

P1000656.JPG

Looking up from near where I found P. villosa.

P1000658.JPG

P1000660.JPG

A view of the forest near the fen.

P1000661.JPG

P. vulgaris growing in a strangely dry place.

P1000662.JPG

Approaching the second site.

P1000666.JPG

P1000669.JPG

P1000670.JPG

As you can see, this is a fen on the edge of a lake with a small stream passing through it. I found P. villosa on Sphagnum tussocks on the stream side (and P. vulgaris everywhere).

P1000672.JPG

I also found Drosera rotundifolia. Presumably there were less nutrients where it grew.

P1000676.JPG

P1000677.JPG

Pinguicula villosa habitat.

P1000679.JPG

P1000681.JPG

P1000689.JPG

P1000691.JPG

Sadly I didn't find any P. villosa plants in flower. But I did find one with a seed pod.

P1000695.JPG

P1000694.JPG

P1000696.JPG

See, i told you, look for Sphagnum fuscum and there you will find P. villosa... ;-)

Im very glad you found this minute plant, since there are not many pictures, compared to other specimens, eventhough its quite widespread. I wish i could see it in situ.

And by the way, its very first seed pod ive seen from this species, do you have a picture from the side too?

Great report, by the way!

And by the way, its very first seed pod ive seen from this species, do you have a picture from the side too?

Great report, by the way!

Thank you. Sadly I didn't take any pictures of the seed pod from the side.

I'm surprised that you didn't find any D. anglica in either site. Norway has quite a lot of this species in very wet drainage bogs. - Rich

As you say, there are a lot of them in Norway and they're very easy to find, so I didn't think to look. I always enjoy seeing them though, took lots of pictures of D. anglica in Trysil yesterday.