Brocchinia hechtioides care

linuxman

Hi,

Got a B. hechtioides from Gert at EEE. I've potted it in a sarracenia mix with extra perlite and placed it on a SE facing windowsill. Any suggestions on caring for it would be welcome. Especially watering, humidity, light etc.

TIA,

As far as my experience goes B.Hechtioides is no more difficult to grow than an ordinary house plant. water two or three times a week(more in very hot weather), dont sit it in water. Household Humidity will be fine. very bright light will help the urn form and color up properly. Keep the Urn filled with water, and refresh the water from time to time.

http://fcbs.org/articles/The_Carnivorous_Bromeliads.htm

Edited by Peter Hewitt

I have mine growing on my balcony in lfs : perlite mix, and I pour orchid fertiliser mixed water into the central urn. It is acclimated to lower humidity, though the tips are a little toasty from when it was acclimating (I've had it outside in San Diego area code 92103 weather for a month or so now). Here is a recent picture with a Nepenthes pitcher:

P7120009.jpg

I over-fill the urn with water 1X a week so that the water spills through into the potting mix. I leave the pot in a saucer so the leftover water can slowly evaporate and keep the potting compost moist.

Thanks Peter and thez_yo. Sounds like I'm doing the right thing. I water about twice per week from the top into the tank allowing the overspill to soak away in the compost. Like thez_yo I leave a little water in the tray ATM.

Cheers,

A little water in the tray is no problem, they just dont appreciate waterlogged conditions.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Yes. The best advice I've had for this sp is Peters above. Do not stand in water. The compost can dry out no problem. I have lost plants keeping the compost wet and even too damp, damp and cold together is a killer. I keep the urn filled regularly and only add a bit of water to the compost if it is absolutely bone dry. A heavy compost with grit, sand and a bit of peat substitute keeps the pot stable.

• 3 weeks later...

Richard, reducta can stand being grown on the bathroom window cill,with the window open in summer or winter and getting plenty of draught.It would grow huge in a warmer enviroment(the parent was massive)but they dont like prolonged cold.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, I've just repotted. The pot was rootbound, with the roots circling the bottom of the pot in a dense tight loop.  The dead mother plant, or at least dead aboveground, had a ton of roots, but I decided I was just going to toss the roots because I had other plant material to work with.  The 4 pups separated off pretty easily and I potted each of them up.  They each had at least 2 good 3 inch roots, and now I've got lots of B.hechtioides!

PC130216.jpg

Those nice stripes

PC130217.jpg