Sign in to follow this  
wilnadon

Drosera chrysolepis seeds....

I've heard this species' seeds need to be stratified....is this true? I know I just asked a similar question in a different thread on D. ascendens. It's because I ordered these seeds together, along with 4 different graminifolia seed types, and a giant capensis type. Wanted to plant them as soon as possible so if anyone can let me know I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

WND

Hi,

last year my plant produced some seeds. I sowed them fresh (normal summer greenhouse conditions) and they sprouted readily. Thus in my opinion there is no need to stratify the seeds of this species. But it's always good to hear some more opinions.

Good growing.

Peter

No stratification is necessary as far as I know. At maximum a dry stratification (and not cold) is needed for some Brazilian species.

Fernando Rivadavia

Thanks for all your input folks. Mine have just sprouted within the last few weeks and are still tiny. In fact, no carnivorous leaves are fully grown yet. I have been keeping them very warm, humid, and under bright lighting conditions. I've also been keeping the soil wet. I recently removed the plastic cover from the pot they germinated in and placed the pot in my open-top terrarium. Is this the overall recommended growing conditions for this plant? Thanks again!

Guest Tamlin Dawnstar

This sounds similar to my own conditions and my seedlings are doing well although they are very slow growers for me. A good night time drop in temp. is what you are looking for. Once the plants grow on a bit, I would also suggest keeping them a little cooler if possible. More than this I can't offer as this is my first chance to get to know this species from seed sown last winter. Good luck, and I am interested in hearing how it goes for you.

I'm growing my seedlings in very similar condtions as well. I too find them to be extremely slow growers. I checked them out tonight with a magnifying glass and noticed that the centre of the rosette of all the seedlings had formed a green,solid, rounded mass. Does this sound normal to anyone that has grown this species to maturity from seed? Very strange looking indeed.

Hi,

I got germination in seeds of D. chrysolepis from to different sources some weeks ago. I have not uesed any kind of stratification. They are also very slow growing for me. But that's o.k.

regards,

Christian