suggesting Stylidiaceae maybe practicing carnivory

Dear all,

Konnichiwa!

A paper suggesting Stylidiaceae maybe practicing carnivory has just been published in the International Trigger Plant Society (ITPS) journal No. 2.

The ITPS journal No. 2 is available as a free pdf download from

www.triggerplants.org

There is a lot of other articles as well as photos of many species.

The attached photos of Stylidium carlquistii are yet other example of insect prey caught on the scape of a triggerplant.

Kind regards from the Far East

5890185929_4091f67d0e_b.jpg

Stylidium carlquistii

5890754264_7b3b28492c_b.jpg

Stylidium carlquistii

Very interesting! Someone now needs to perform the more sophisticated nitrogen isotope test. By the way, the article also mentions that carnivory has been proven in Byblis. Has anyone ever actually performed isotope tests with this genus?

Cheers,

Greg

Dear Greg Allan-san,

Konnichiwa!

I do not have any document about isotope tests or enzyme. However I am still very interested in "Byblis glandular mucus: could it contain a sleeping drug come anesthetizing agent; nerve immobilizing agent and/or an insecticide?"

In the past, I recognized that it was important for the prey to be in contact with the mucus. At this time, I think it might be a volatile material substance that is discharged by disturbance from the struggling prey.

Byblis glandular mucus ICPS

Byblis glandular mucus cpuk

Kind regards from the Far East

• 1 month later...

Bonjour

I see no name on your stylidium gallery it is normal?

jeff

Edited by jeff 1

the flies around my sarracenia are most of the time verry sleepy too :sarcastic_hand:

it is verry funny to see them walk :sun_bespectacled:

I think there is some sort of drug in sarracenia nectar

There is and its Coniine, so no licking Sarracenia ok.

Here is a link for you and I notice Coniine is in hemlock too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coniine

Very interesting! Someone now needs to perform the more sophisticated nitrogen isotope test. By the way, the article also mentions that carnivory has been proven in Byblis. Has anyone ever actually performed isotope tests with this genus?

Barthlott et al (2007) reports enzyme secretion but, 'The exact uptake path of the digestive products into the plant has not yet been elucidated...' but I expect you have his book, too?! :smile: I assume carnivory is proven when enzymes are secreted? For a plant to secrete enzymes but not absorb the products would be strange (would this be evolutionary feasible - washed to the roots, perhaps?).

Bonjour

you have a research paper on" evidence of protocarnivory in triggerplants " ( try on laricifolium and fimbriatum ) the digestion seem identical to the D.capensis .

it seem also carnivory prior to and during the sexual reproduction .

jeff

Edited by jeff 1