All Green, why no colour?

mattynatureboy44

The bog garden is looking is very green nothing has coloured up like it could or should, some of the plants in there are susposed to be red, have red veining or red blotches or coloured lids, the same plants grown in the greenhouse show this colour. The thing is it gets nearly full sun all day the same amount as one of my greenhouses and considerably more sun than my other greenhouse where things still colour up nicely in there, I wander why and what causes this? it cannot be lack of light, could it be that there are too many nutrients in the bog and they could cause this.

5887103099_9c186c3b8e.jpg

DSCF0641 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

could be that there are alot of nutrients. I have heard that Dionaea given fertilizer by nurseries to speed up the time to market grow fast but dont develop colour. Perhaps colour develops as the leaf develops and not so much when the cells have reached maturity and differentiated. So if the leaf develops fast then no time for pigments to acumulate. This may be a load of *&@# as Im not aware of any research on this.

Hi Matty

I agree with Zeeland, from previous threads it would seem that these have been planted out this year, so some sulking may well be the answer, especially as it gets as much sun as your greenhouses. Were these divisions off your own plants? or pot grown or bare rooted purchases?

Cheers

Steve

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with a few plants in my bog as well... For example, s. purpurea which should be purplish red, and I even bought it that way, fully changed its color into green... most other sarracenias do get color, especially during summer months, but purpureas remain green... dont know exactly why...