Hardy dews

billynomates666

Well it took until the longest day but finally all the binata and capensis that I had outside through winter, have finally made it through the soil and are growing like they never noticed there was a cold season.

Hardy little devils arent they.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers

Steve

I've never put Dews through dormancy (Dreading this winter. Ulp) But, i have had on D. capensis, which, four months wouldn't do a thing, i was considering throwing it away, as it wasn't too valuable, but, a few weeks agao, as if it read my thoughts, it grew new leaves, in hordes!

Now, it's definetly a keeper!

Well it took until the longest day but finally all the binata and capensis that I had outside through winter, have finally made it through the soil and are growing like they never noticed there was a cold season.

Hardy little devils arent they.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Bit of a slow reply but yep my binata, dichotoma and multifida have all come from dormancy with vigour :D really suprised me as i thought they were dead but saved them to see if they would grow and im glad i did!

Kind regards

Dan

Are you saying that capensis can overwinter outside??? That would be great news! Can it be grown outside then? I have a bog garden outside with plenty of sun and growing sarracenias mostly... Can it withstand temps below 0c?

Capensis does not require a dormancy period, that said in the winter time all above the earth will die, but it will all sprout from the roots the following season. It's not easy to kill this plant. :sun_bespectacled:

Hi bogman

It certainly does survive over winter outside in a bog, I wouldn’t have thought that it would in pots though, as the smaller mass may allow hard and prolonged frost to penetrate the root fibres and split them irrevocably. As Amar says it grows back from the roots but does take time to re-establish itself, so if you want good looking plants in the early season its not recommended. As they say it tends to survive rather than thrive but in a bog it doesn’t really matter as there are generally other things growing, so you tend not to miss them, then when they start togrow it’s a bonus.

Cheers

Steve