Advice on Drosera Capensis Alba (Cape Sundew)

Guest shabbysquire

Guest shabbysquire

My Drosera is developing brown tips on the ends. The plant is located on a south-facing window sill, and is usually sat in 2cms of rain water. Any advice?

Have a close look if you can spot any pests, like aphids (greenfly) for example. Is it planted in peat?

Edited by Amar

Even in Habitat D.Capensis usually looks a little bit dry at the tips and lacking "Dew" during very hot weather. If you provide a little shading during the hottest months, they should start looking better. Just remember, The Western Cape is very hot and dry during summer and cool and wet in winter. Most sundews around here look there best in winter.

The Western Cape is very hot and dry during summer and cool and wet in winter. Most sundews around here look there best in winter.

Peter, from your brief description the climate there sounds very similar to Melbourne's, and I've always considered D. capensis the easiest of species to grow. Of course the most common native species around melbourne are tuberous, and so also look their best in winter :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I find the best thing to do is to leave it and when the leaves start turning a bit brown cut them off and give it a day or two and it grows a ton of new leaves and theyre just as dewy as ever =D this seems to work for me as mine seems to lose its dew when it needs a trim