flood accident

bogman

Hello to all! I have a bog garden in my yard and I have successfully grown sarracenias, sphagnum moss, few types of other bog plants etc... It was all doing really great but yesterday an accident occurred! We had a major mud/water/all sort of garbage torrent, and it flooded our entire garden! The bog garden was flooded as well, maybe not so terribly like other parts of garden, but still it took its part of a cake... It had around 2-3cm of water on it which was a bit dirty, but not so muddy... I have demolished it today and I am making a new, improved bog garden, built especially for our type of weather and position... My question is, will this affect greatly the cps and sphagnum? I am planning to wash them thoroughly before replanting them again... What about all that peat? Is it destroyed now? I removed the top part which had a thin deposit of mud on it, and put the rest into the barrels until I plant them again... It is hard to find peat here to buy, so I must rely on this that I have... I hope not all is lost... Please reply as soon as you can... Especially if you had a similar problem as I had!

Since Sarracenia are mostly Bog plants and your others too, it will not trouble them at all. As for the peat, since you have removed the top layer of possibly contaminated debri, you should be good to go!

Great!!! I hoped for some words of comfort! I must make a few new adjustments and I think it will be planted and ready to start again tomorrow! I just hope it wont take to long for plants to start growing again! Thanks! ;)

I did it! It looks good now and it is fully protected... I was wondering about how long will it take for sphagnum to start growing? From what I could see, it grew up really well since last year, but I had to cut it and used lower part chopped as a dressing over bare peat, and put the living upper part on it... Is that ok? I will post a few pics later, so you can see what I have done! I was really heart broken when I realized that it started growing those spore capsules, and I had to disturb it! :(

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I almost forgot about this topic! xD

here is what the bog garden looked like last year, at its best, during vegetation...

myboggarden.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i successfully hid the plastic edge of bog... I will post new pic, as soon as I make some... I also added new little bog, which is a bit different in flora, and substrate, which is comprised mostly of silica sand... I made that especially for dionaeas, since, from what I have seen, they like to grow (and grow like that in nature) in almost pure silica... I will get dionaeas in a few days, but this is how it looks like now... just a few tiny young d. rotundifolias are growing in it, with all other non carnivorous plants and sphagnum...

smallbog.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

what do you think? :)