Unknown Nep

Neil Cornish

This plant is sold in nurseries and department stores around Brisbane,and maybe the rest of Australia, with the label "burbidgeae x edwardsiana". Judging by what I'd guess this cross to look like and the photos on the CP photo finder it clearly isn't! Anyone hazard a guess as to what it might be? It's still an attactive plant but my only guess might be something with rafflesiana mixed in somewhere. Thanks for any replies.

946Mystery.jpg

Regards Neil

Many thanks for all your replies. I think you're on the money with x Dyeriana :thumbsup: I know we're spoilt up here in Brissy as we are lucky enough to have a few good CP nurseries nearby. If you ever need help getting your hands on anything please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Regards Neil

Looks a lot like an unnamed plant I have (pictured below), which I decided was probably a x dyeriana as well.

These garden centres, etc ... where do these plants get the names they end up with? Do you suppose it's a genuine mix-up somewhere along the line, or do they just pluck the names out of thin air and then they stick?

347Nep_hybrid_0.jpg

I agree as well, that it is indeed a N. dyeriana, which is actually a bogus name; this plant was first introduced in The [Kew] Gardener's Chronicles as: "N. x Sir William Thistleton Dyer", (perhaps too short?), but everyone knows it by it's nickname.