will bog gardens attract mosquitoes?

bouncingwatermellon

I've not had that problem with my outdoor bog barrel, but not many mozzies in uk

don't they need pools of water?

On the contrary, mozzies are in abundance in the wilds of the UK. Especially where I live :hunter:

I find that they can lay eggs and undergo metmorphosis in wet sphagnum as well.

On the contrary, mozzies are in abundance in the wilds of the UK. Especially where I live :hunter:

I find that they can lay eggs and undergo metmorphosis in wet sphagnum as well.

Mozzies prefer shallow pools to deeper ones, so a barrel bog might not attract that many, and since they breed just on the surface, the area is small. In a Bog, the area would be larger and more shallow. So, yes you can expect a few blighters about.

As I have killed most of my cp's due to desiccation, I'm considering making a bog. This way, the environment should be more stable due to the larger volume of soil. My only concern is, will bog gardens attract mosquitoes?

What type of mosquitos?

There are biting and non-biting mosquito species.

Alle species of biting mosquitos need open (standing or very slowly floating) water.

Non-biting mosquitos can also develop in other wet surroundings like wet peat or wet sphagnum moss, but they don't harm any people or animal.

But open water (even small amounts) is a breeding place of different species of biting mosquitos, too.

• 3 months later...

I use the mosquito dunks in my trays to kill larva and also will add some merit into the water. Kills everything and will go systemic to the plants and protect them too. Won't hurt the plants either. Bayer advanced or anything with merit in it will work too. Same stuff that is in frontline for dogs and cats. Works well on those pesky fungus gnats too.

• 2 weeks later...

Mozzies prefer shallow pools to deeper ones, so a barrel bog might not attract that many, and since they breed just on the surface, the area is small. In a Bog, the area would be larger and more shallow. So, yes you can expect a few blighters about.

get some utrics :sorcerer:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bouncing

I'm with Ben here, I have many plants in many bogs and dont fnd mossys a problem at all. I do get some during summer but no more than I would expect to see in 'normal' circumstances. I even have a fish pond within 2m of the bogs which you would expect to increase their numbers somewhat, but the fish activity means that the larvae do not survive.

Having said that the bogs do not have standing visible water in them, so presumably would not be deemed a good location for laying eggs and would have a limited source of food.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...