Sundews in Direct Sunlight

jimscott

Guest Andreas Eils

Ahoi Miloslav,

that must be Drosera pulchella x omissa (or vice versa).

Hello Jim,

I have to admit, too, your Droseras look magnificent! BTW: What Byblis is flowering on the image below D. pulchella x omissa?

Kind regards

Andreas

Guest Andreas Eils

It's the Drosera pulchella x occidentalis.

Huh? :blink: I guess the size of the plants on the photo has just fooled me. Anyway it looks almost identical to my D. pulchella x omissa - particularly the flower! :dry:

I may have been given gemmae that were mislabeled. This is what came as pulchella x omissa:

006-1.jpg

These are supposed to be pulchella x occidentalis:

021-1.jpg

I'm guessing that I have all and only pulchella & omissa.

Guest Andreas Eils

I guess unless the pots are correctly labelled it´s nearly impossible to judge by the flowers what is which cross. I´d expect the flower of D. pulchella x occidentalis is a little smaller than those of the others.

What really confuses me is: Both - D. occidentalis as well as D. pulchella - have almost absolute circular laminae. How can laminae of a cross made of D. occidentalis and D. pulchella be spoon shaped? :confused:

Regards

Andreas

I just took these pictures a few minutes ago. Compare and contrast. I just want correct ID's.

Pot #1:

005-3.jpg

013-2.jpg

From earlier in the week:

021-1.jpg

Pot #2:

007-4.jpg

From earlier in the week:

006-1.jpg

Edited by jimscott
  • Like 1

Guest Andreas Eils

Jim, I must admit I am at a loss! I have never seen the hybrid D. pulchella x occidentalis. The best would be Christian also posts close-ups of the leaves of this hybrid. The question from the point of view of the flowers is does D. omissa x pulchella always have only three stigmata on their flowers. Your flowers though a little unsharp look all like they´d have only three stigmata and I will prove today when some flowers of my D. omissa x pulchella are open how many stigmata each flower has. Maybe I should create the cross D. pulchella x occidentalis ssp. occidentalis myself and as well D. pulchella x occidentalis ssp. australis.

I have found the following statement on Marius´ website (www.droseragemmae.com) below the D. pulchella x occidentalis images:

I could not see any difference between this plant traveling around under this name and the popular hybrid omissa x pulchella. Looks like it's one and the same.

Talk to you soon.

Andreas

Edited: The flower of the pic Miloslav picked out shows FOUR stigmata. Than it would be D. pulchella x omissa according to Christians photos.... :sarcastic_hand:

Edited by Andreas Eils

Guest Andreas Eils

Good afternoon,

all flowers of my hybrid D. omissa x pulchella have three stigmata. But I´m not certain if this is always the case. I´ll ask Christian V. to show a picture of his plants of D. pulchella x occidentalis.

Regards

Andreas

Hi there,

here are the plants referring to the flowers above.

I have to say, that I can see no difference between them. I got the D. pulchella x occidentalis with the remark "I could not see any difference".

For me I could only notice the different number of stigmata and - checked it again - its allways five for the D. pulchella x occidentalis and three for the D. omissa x pulchella.

Like Andreas said, the spoon shape of the lamina makes no sense for a cross between D. pulchella and D. occidentalis.

Anyway, here they are:

D. pulchella x occidentalis

45_Pulchella_x_Occidentalis_Pfl.jpg

D. omissa x pulchella

47_Omissa-x-Pulchella_Pfl.jpg

and Dieters D. pulchella x omissa

46_Pulchella_x_Omissa_Pfl.jpg

Judge for yourself and good night!

Oh, and good morning Andreas! :boredom:

Guest Andreas Eils

Good morning Christian,

isn´t that totally crazy they all look like the same cross? But I think I haven an explanation!

Drosera pulchella in fact is a bewitched D. omissa! :yes: -----------------> :wizard: And when you cross another pygmy species with D. pulchella the resulting hybrid shows the characteristics of what D. pulchella truely is: Drosera omissa! :sarcastic_hand:

I think I have to do the crossing myself: D. pulchella x occidentalis. My first problem is both species rarely flower at the same time. Another problem is I don´t grow a pink flowering D. pulchella anymore. I´d have to take the salmon flowering variety of D. pulchella. Anyway we just want to see how the leaves look like. Wish me luck I manage to cross both species with each other! :Laie_98:

:bye2:

Andreas

Guest Andreas Eils

Oh, that´s pretty easy now: Just count the number of stigmata on the flowers of your plants! If there are only three then it must be D. omissa x pulchella. If the flowers have four stigmata then it must be D. pulchella x omissa. And finally if your plants in question have five stigmata on their flowers it must be D. pulchella x occidentalis! :D

If I´m sure? No, I´m not! :tongue: It may be like that, but without 100% certainty! Currently obviously no one can tell you for sure if you grow D. pulchella x occidentalis or D. omissa x pulchella. I´ll try to make the cross between D. occidentalis and D. pulchella. If I succeed to receive seed it will take until early spring next year until plants are big enough to see their characteristics. Stupid thing is both species usually self-fertilise. In a seed capsule I can receive seed of the species as well as seed of the cross OR only seeds of the species if the hybridisation failed.

At least this is an honest answer. Are those plants grown as D. pulchella x occidentalis really that cross? Or is it in fact a cross between D. omissa and D. pulchella? This we need to find out. Probably Dieter Kadereit knows the answer - provided he has made that cross himself as well.

So, how should you label your plants? Best you don´t label them at all. Not satisfying, I know. But what do you want to do if you cannot be certain?

Kind regards

Andreas

Okay... I was looking back at the pictures from last year and how they were labeled:

Picture009-10.jpg D. pulchella x occidentalis

Picture002-13.jpg D. pulchella x occidentalis

Picture005-17.jpg D. omissa x pulchella

The flowers from this year are from the gemmae from those plants. Assuming I didn't mess things up, based upon stigma counts, they appear to be all D. pulchella x occidentalis.

Edited by jimscott

• 1 year later...