New to Ceph's.....

alanbower

Hi there all.

Only just recieved my very first Ceph...VERY excited...baby pitchers about 0.5 cm at the moment.

What should I do with her now!!!

I have heard they are OK in UK outdoors in sunny position in summer...when is best to put her out with the sarras? Obviously will keep her raised above the bed as I dont want her getting water logged...or is she best with pings that dont like the boggyess too?

If I do put her out (she is currently in a shallow tray of water in an indoor germination thingy) when is best? How do I stop her scorching....

ANY advce on Ceph's in UK greatfully received!

I keep most of mine indoors on windowsill. This year I have put one outside but too early to say how it's doing.

Would do that but 2 problems -

1 - no windowsills that get enough light......actually no windowsill!

2 - the cats would LOVE to munch down on them!

How do i make sure they get the sun but don't scorch and burn?

I keep my Cephalotus on windowsills like mobile and have no experience with keeping them outside.

I have found that Cephalotus like stable conditions and don't like being moved about and they can sometimes sulk for a few months afterwards, might be something to bear in mind.

Alot of people grow them under lights, is that feasible for you?

I keep my Cephalotus on windowsills like mobile and have no experience with keeping them outside.

I have found that Cephalotus like stable conditions and don't like being moved about and they can sometimes sulk for a few months afterwards, might be something to bear in mind.

Alot of people grow them under lights, is that feasible for you?

I have a small terrarium, but that is at the mo. reserved for sarra, darlingtonia and drosera seedlings....no windowsills.....hmmmmm....are they that bad outdoors overwinter even if I cover and insulate them?? Will keep them potted.....just removed to a shed and fleeced up...possibly

Hello people

A few years ago i've tried keeping them in a greenhouse non-heated so freezing temperatures and I lost most my cephies like that. :banging:

They can take some frost but not that the pots freezes on for weeks .

If temperature during daytime in winter rises in your greenhouse(like in a south located garden) and defrosts the whole plant and pot it is possible. :l_sunny:

But I dont recommend them growing outside,frostfree is the best option.

Like Mobile grows them or in a tank with artificial lights. :tu:

Greetings Tim

You will probably get away with growing it outdoors during the summer, but winter is a different matter. I have read posts about people losing them in unheated greenhouses during the winter months. If you look at the climate for their native habitat it never gets very cold: http://bit.ly/jgrUjs

As for acclimatising, that would depend on how the previous owner was growing it. If it was in a high humidity then you will probably have to gradually reduce the levels, else it will wilt. They can handle full sun, but again that would depend on whether your plant is accustomed to it, if not then best start off with a slightly shaded, but bright spot.

Personally, I don't think that you will succeed with this plant over winter unless you can provide it frost free conditions. You might want to consider options for winter, one of which might be to bring it indoors. You say that you don't have a suitable windowsill, so you could consider growing it under lights. You don't need an expensive 'growlight' - currently I have one growing under a Daylight R80 15w Reflector Energy Saving Light Bulb that I obtained from eBay. It fits into a standard ES (E27) lamp holder and I have mine in a desk lamp.

You will probably get away with growing it outdoors during the summer, but winter is a different matter. I have read posts about people losing them in unheated greenhouses during the winter months. If you look at the climate for their native habitat it never gets very cold: http://bit.ly/jgrUjs

Just to underline Mobile's comments, where I am is a bit more southerly than the Cephs' natural range. Our idea of very cold is that it might get down to 0oC over night for a maybe an hour or two, and that might be a couple of times a year. Currently we are getting a cold blast of southern air, and are likely to get hail, so I have moved my plants back into the hothouse. Yes, some have already copped frost in the past couple of weeks, but it melted before the sun came out so they did not get frost burn.

I use my hothouse to ensure that they don't experience the worst of our cold weather, and our winters are a lot warmer than those in the UK. Snow is something that we normally only get in the nearby mountains, and even there it is only for a short period of time. You cannot grow Cephs like Sarras. Ice and snow are completely foreign to them. We also get plenty of sunshine in winter.

Hi Alan, hope you are happy with the plant

As for acclimatising, that would depend on how the previous owner was growing it.

The plant has been on a window sill, so I would definitely provide some shading if you decide to move it outside. I would try and find space in your terrarium if I were you, cephs can be very sensitive to sudden changes in conditions.

Elliot

Hi Alan, hope you are happy with the plant

The plant has been on a window sill, so I would definitely provide some shading if you decide to move it outside. I would try and find space in your terrarium if I were you, cephs can be very sensitive to sudden changes in conditions.

Elliot

hi there, yes received the plant...she's so cute! at the mo i have her in a propagator next to a window. Think I do want to mever her outdoors as we have no windowsills ....and 2 cats that like eating plants!