Cephalotus vertical growing

PurplePitchers

There is a thread on another CP forum where someone has done this. I'll PM you the link.

This is an idea that I have also be considering. Would please post the link to me also. I have tried putting one on a Tree Fern slab, but my first attempt did not take. I now have a better piece available to experiment with, and plently of Cephs, so I am considering trying it again.

This is an idea that I have also be considering. Would please post the link to me also. I have tried putting one on a Tree Fern slab, but my first attempt did not take. I now have a better piece available to experiment with, and plently of Cephs, so I am considering trying it again.

Sent

I have a spare 18 inch tank and I was wondering if it would be possible to grow cephalotus as they grow naturally, i.e. almost vertically, in the tank.

For example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Cephalotus_follicularis_Hennern_3.jpg

Would make an excellent display.

Cheers,

Elliot

There are a couple of growers in the US who have attempted it with some success. Usually some hard support (styrofoam, etc) is used to make a form which is later covered in compost and provided with "sockets" for the plants to grow. Some have been quite elaborate . . .

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Very interesting Marcus, hope it grows well for you.

My plant in the Tree Fern Slab is growing faster than the same age cuttings in pots, as it is about three times the size of the largest cutting, from the same batch, in a pot. Currently, after growing in a mostly shaded position, it is colouring up in the summer sunshine.

Enjoying the setting sun.

gallery_5319_442_63823.jpg

Same plant at dusk, showing whole set up.

gallery_5319_442_47764.jpg

Edited by Marcus B
  • Like 1

My plant in the Tree Fern Slab is growing faster than the same age cuttings in pots, as it is about three times the size of the largest cutting, from the same batch, in a pot. Currently, after growing in a mostly shaded position, it is colouring up in the summer sunshine.

Given the happiness of the sphag, I'm guessing that the treefern sits in water 24/7?

Interesting experiment - thanks for sharing!

Very interesting!

Possibly the growing on it's side encourages it to produce more offshoots somehow?

Keep us posted!

I have found with my basket pots, plants seem to readily produce shoots out the side of the pots. It may be that the shoots would have simply grown up to the surface if not for the basket openings, but it may also be a response to light reaching the roots. I tend to think it is the former, as plants in wide shallow pots are producing shoots well away from the main clump. Any shoots growing from the main rhizome on the tree-fern slab are more likely to be exposed to light, even if they grow downwards. I am keeping an eye out for any sign of shoots on the opposite side of the slab.

I think the biggest advantage of the tree-fern slab is that the ceph is not sitting in water, but is still damp and it is well above the water tray so it gets good air movement. I have found that the higher my plants are above the edge of the pot the faster they grow. I number of my other cuttings have suffered the effects of fungal attack and the rain has flooded their tray a few times when it was bit cooler than normal. The tree-fern slab has been sitting on a lower shelf, where it gets some morning sun, facing the opening of my Ceph house, so often it has no shelter from the wind.

I might have to try this with a cutting from my Giant. It would be good to find a way to speed up its growth rate and still maintain the larger pitcher size.

• Like 1

Given the happiness of the sphag, I'm guessing that the treefern sits in water 24/7?

Interesting experiment - thanks for sharing!

Pretty much so. It is in a shallow tray, and I tend to keep it moist or wet at the base. It is also a bit away from the wall of the Ceph house to stop the Sphag burning off on sunny days.

Agreed- maybe Marcus would give us a little tutorial on how to make one.

It was relatively simple. I just took an old piece of tree-fern trunk (TS not LS), the core of which had rotted out, and cut a hole through the remaining core. After that I plugged one end of the hole with sphagnum and transplanted a cutting into the resulting cup. The cutting is in peat and perlite, overlayed with sphagnum, like most of my plants.

After that I removed a few frond stem sections and filled the resulting holes with more sphagnum, then turned it on its side before dressing the top with more sphagnum. By keeping it damp the sphagum grew well and so has the Ceph. Much of its current growth has been put out in the last month and a half.

It was relatively simple. I just took an old piece of tree-fern trunk (TS not LS), the core of which had rotted out, and cut a hole through the remaining core. After that I plugged one end of the hole with sphagnum and transplanted a cutting into the resulting cup. The cutting is in peat and perlite, overlayed with sphagnum, like most of my plants.

After that I removed a few frond stem sections and filled the resulting holes with more sphagnum, then turned it on its side before dressing the top with more sphagnum. By keeping it damp the sphagum grew well and so has the Ceph. Much of its current growth has been put out in the last month and a half.

Sorry, Ive got to ask...(TS not LS), what is that an abbreviation of?

Sorry, Ive got to ask...(TS not LS), what is that an abbreviation of?

TS = Transverse, or Cross Section (CS), as opposed to Longitudinal section (LS). Sorry, it is just a bit of habitual terminology from dealing with sectioned specimens for such things as microscope slides, and timber slices.

I don't know if you can get a similar material, but most tree-fern pieces readily available here are LS pieces and lack the thickness to enable me to stand them up on their own. They are cut to avoid the core that I used to pot the Ceph into. I am considering trialing a LS if I can over come the issues.

Edited by Marcus B