Drosera filiformis All Red

Amar

All day it sits in water, perhaps too much peat, not enough perlite? Any ideas?

DSC03365.jpg

Hi Amar ,looks te same like some of my capillaris,rotundifolia and my red filiformis,i have done al wats possible to rescu them but notting works for me.

Plants suffering till she are disapear,wathever you do,give new peat ,lesser or more water notting helpt.

By mine plants roots looks OK ,so it s not that.Meaby a kind of botrytis ?

I hope i am wrong but i lost them all that looks like that one!You can trying to give new peat but i see on your other plants in te same pot it s notting to do whit this,please let us know if you find some solution for this problem,

Cheers Will

I would try letting the media be drier. I'm sure you know to use purified water or rainwater, so doubt that's the issue.

Well, as james said, it's not picky with media- i grow mine in nearly all peat with just a little bit of sand and it has even done well growing near the water level for several months in warm temperatures.

but i've been growing mine indoors under lights for 4 years so perhaps there might be a pest in the soil or a fungus, as will suggested?

I really don't know, otherwise- what's the light intensity, pot height, and temperature, just for the heck of it? --for anyone having that problem

The pot's 8 cm high with a diameter of 10 cm. Your usual fairly small pot. It's always kept in water, gets fairly much direct sun, day over 25°C, nights may have been a bit chilly lately, but the warm weather's back, I'll just wait and see and hope. :)

Edited by Amar

I had similar incident that happened to my sarracenia flower. The plant had two flower buds then one just turned black on its tip, then I noticed mushrooms are sprouting out of its pot, so I transplanted it to fresh mix...So it could very well be fungus.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the plant is dead. :thumbsdown: Weird. Well, it flowered last year, I have exactly one plant left, resting, strangely, in a dormant hibernaculum stage..hope it wakes up..

Not to worry Amar, I know it's a nuisance, but it's also easy to replace.

I have seen this type of collapse before with my filiformis plants. Almost always once the symptoms appear, the plants cannot be saved. Not sure what causes it - I've tried changing media, spraying with fungicide, increasing airflow / sunlight, all to no avail.

Better luck next time!

• 2 years later...

Well, I got seeds again in December of 2011 from Andreas Eils and after a slow start, this plant is doing well, --> has NOT died as of now. The front bushy part was actually the section of the plant that had died down completely about a month ago, I was afraid the plant would croak yet again, but this time it decided differently and just entered a form of dormancy (just decided to die, eventhough it was not too cold for the plant) without forming a hibernaculum...

IMG_1658.jpg