How to pot a VFT demonstrated by a 4 yr old

Ian Salter

Hi guys.

None of us like potting those little scrappy VFT's after dividing all those lovely juicy splits.

Here's what to do if you have slave labour to hand.

No prior training.

Two demonstrations.

One instructed attempt and then told him to get on with it.

Later his 5 yr old sister got wind someone was having fun and joined in and between them they potted just over 100 G6 VFT.

• Like 1

It is strange that we can teach them how to pot fly-traps, but not to take thier shoes off before they come in the lounge..........lol.

Luckily for him, mum (me) gets about as mucky as he does too!!! lmao

He had great fun for the 2 hours it took them........ and now he is a very proud boy too!!!

Dianne

You think he'll become a CP grower, or will he lose the interest at about my age when girls/parties/exams becomes the main part of ones life? :wink:

He will probably lose interest by the time he wakes up in the morning, children are flippant things lol.

Hello Ian!

He can come to me for holidays to repott some plants. I will give him food, water and something to play in his brakes. Deal?! ^^

Cheers Chris

Now he has proven his worth I will now consider him for a good plant swap. Offers???

Dianne/Ian,

Great job getting the kids interested in cps. I did this with mine too,only went a step further.

I got them growing vft's from seed! The hours they have spent catching small insects to feed them.

One word of warning, don't shout at them------tooo much,when you find plant labels missing from pots or shall we say relocated!

ada

Thanks ada!!!

The kids have already managed to do a bit of "label removal/relocation". Luckliy for us, they have now learned NOT to remove plant labels from pots. We had them divide and repot a leucophyla each about 2 years ago, which they have great pleasure in "who's is going to flower first and who's is going to put up the first pitcher".

Connor is always wanting to get involved with us down the grow houses, he loves getting dirty. Katie on the other hand tends to ask lots and lots and lots of questions about them. She can now show us what is a flava and what is a leucophyla. It was quite funny last year when we went to Langys open day. She walked into his polytunnel and said " oh look, he has a sarracenia flava over there".

Growing plants from seed will come next year when we have plenty of fresh seed for them.

My plan is to let them get involved as and when they want to, and not to push them into it. Hopefully they will become as interested in them as us. Our eldest daughter (13 year old) went into school not so long ago and was informing one of her teachers about the plants and the fact that we use peat. Apparently the teacher was amazed by them and her little bit of knowledge.

Regards Dianne