New to CP's - Help

Hey all.

Sorry about the openendedness of the topic title but I figured it was most appropriate to post in here since my CP's are currently inside due to being in an apartment complex.

I have

Venus Flytraps

Sundews

Pitchers

Monkey cups

all of which require slightly different environemnts.

Currently they are all sat in my windowsill scraping by on the worst UK light available LOL

So i am topping them up with 2 CLF's with a 6400k output for a few hours a day.

So for the help bit - They all have near zero colour. Alot of the chatter here suggests that is due to the lighting or purely species. Mine were all shop bought as such i dont know the exact species. So i was wanting any advice about trying to get them to look a little healthier. I started with 2 flytraps and am now up to 9 purely from their division every year. So now i really want to take care of my colection better. Would it be alright to mix all my plants up in 1 teranium or will it create the wrong conditions for some of my plants???

Thanks in advance

Karl - UK

Sarracenia (trumpet pitchers) and Dionaea (VFT) both require a winter dormancy so won't do well in a terrarium unless you move them to a cooler situation during the winter. Do you have an unheated greenhouse you could use?

As for the Drosera (sundews), assuming they are sub-tropicals (most likley aliciae or capensis), they should thrive in a terrarium if given good lighting and humidity, or on a windowsill.

I don't grow Nepenthes (monkey cups), but the same conditions as the Drosera should be fine.

Elliot

Welcome to the forum Karl.

The two Nepenthes often available in garden centres are ventrata (usually mislabelled as alata) and hookeriana. Ventrata is by far the most common and will happily survive on a bright windowsill. If you post some pics of your plants on the forum we should be able to identify them.

Carl

Welcome to CPUK! The VFT & Sarracenia are sunlovers, so they should be kept outside. The Asian pitcher plant are essentially equatorial, so they need little seasonality, with warm, humid conditions. Sundews generally need lots of light. If you can post a picture we can hone in on what it needs. They vary widely.

Brilliant thanks for the quick help. I will get some pics uploaded tomorrow and hopefully i can norrow down what i have and see how healthy you think they all seem.

Sudden thought.. I know about the VFT dormancy stages and luckily it get naturally that cold near our window sills that they have gone to sleep naturally each year. However can i screw them up by leaving them in 6400k CFL's all the time. do they need a day/night cycle or does it matter?

thanks again will get some pics up tomorrow. be interesting to see what you all say.

I need to get on top of it all now I have some time to really make this a hobby.

Karl

Do you have an unheated greenhouse you could use?

Unfortunately not... as i said i am in an apartment complex and as such u are looking at my only available SE facing window. This is why i am having to sort out artificial CFL's for them. and most likely since i got the lights today why up till now the plants look a little ill.

saving some spare cash to get converting on my old bookcase. so even if its not teranium at least they wil be shelved with proper lighting.

Karl

Sudden thought.. I know about the VFT dormancy stages and luckily it get naturally that cold near our window sills that they have gone to sleep naturally each year. However can i screw them up by leaving them in 6400k CFL's all the time. do they need a day/night cycle or does it matter?

There is no need to have lights on for 24 hours a day, in winter the reduction of daylight hours is a factor that enduces dormancy. Try about 16 hours a day in summer and reduce that to 12 hours a day in winter.

Elliot

Artifical lighting, unfortunately, doesn't hold a foot-candle to direct sunlight. At winter solstice, the photperiod is ~9 hours. Also, they need to be experiencing coldness, ~25-45 F.

yh it seems that most people say that sunlight is about the only thing worth giving them. Need to find a better window to be honest .. or risk cutting a hole in the south wall and hope my landlord doesn't notice :P

taken some pics this morning in some sunlight. so will upload them later once i get them on the comp.

hope they seem ok to other CP growers

There is always some debate as to whether VFT need dormancy or not but general consensus is they benefit from it. They can be grown under artificial light, but they need a high intensity. I have successfully grown one under a 15W compact flourescent before, which was placed very close to the VFT. The lamp was just a standard shop bought 2700K. The topic is here: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30306&view=findpost&p=235311

2utgfax.jpg

zl5b87.jpg

1zv51r9.jpg

10p5bfk.jpg

2hdruw1.jpg

swvfio.jpg

2urp3xe.jpg

Thanks for the link. looked it up and i see what you mean. well in that case then i should be fine i just need to get my lights a little closer i think.

Let me know what u think - here are my pics. As you can see they do look a little unhealth do those vft do. Or i dont know my be they dont. but i notice they all have these thin long leaves and everyone elses seem to have broad fat short leaves that lie flat to the floor. So from what i am reading I think it is a lighting problem that hopefully then should fix itself now they have new lights.

thanks

Karl

The VFT's are definitely suffering. The 2 sundews are D. capensis and D. aliciae. Neither need or want dormancy and do very well at window sills.

Thanks for that... Its pretty much as i guessed . I thought the VFT's were a bit ill looking. Going to have a bit of a reshuffle and get them under some good lights and take them outside during the best lunch time hours. will just have to take them to work and sit them on my desk all day because as i usually melt in that damn office they will probably love it then. Other than light, do the vft show any signs of other problems... Soil is sphagnumn peat with perlite and a bit of sand.... 1:1:0.5 which i hear allows good healthy roots on them.

thanks for all your input. I will shift things about and keep you all updated. fingers crossed i dont loose them all.

Karl

6pqlhe.jpg

zxmv00.jpg

20ie5hh.jpg

zuhwes.jpg

2yzc0ab.jpg

Will try this new setup and update the pics once a week to see if you think its a good idea. all being well you will have a timeline of some kinda ill looking VFT's to alot of healthy and nicely coloured ones.

o well wish me luck. will keep you all updated..

and thanks to those that ID'd my plants too that helped look them up properly

Karl

Karl,

The CPs you have purchased are incredibly easy once you satisfy their basic requirements - most importantly - a good strong light source and rain water.

They really don't need very much fuss. Taking them to work each day just to bring home seems like a bit of a chore.

So don't worry, it takes time to suss out new CPs, but you'll get there in the end.

Edited by Brendan

Cheers for that. Rain water I am on with and now all being well enough light should be ok. Hoping to see a big pick up in them accross the next couple of weeks.

zeeland - I have 2 X 10W HO T4 TL's in the top about 50ml off the plants

Then I have 2 x 20W 6400k CFL's on those lamps you can see.

You think that is enough or you think i shoudl risk higher Wattage output.

thanks

Karl

Cheers for that. Rain water I am on with and now all being well enough light should be ok. Hoping to see a big pick up in them accross the next couple of weeks.

zeeland - I have 2 X 10W HO T4 TL's in the top about 50ml off the plants

Then I have 2 x 20W 6400k CFL's on those lamps you can see.

You think that is enough or you think i shoudl risk higher Wattage output.

thanks

Karl

The higer the better, 2x 10 watt isn't verry much for vft

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again to all that gave me advice on this one. Just as an update plants are doing alot better. looking into getting some better wattage lights soon to improove them more. Anyhow will update a before and after pic this weekend to show the improvement. Leaves are alot more healthly now , less spindly and they stand up alot more and are broader.

Thanks again for all the advice

Karl

qpi077.jpg

b8r4me.jpg

20podn9.jpg

2hi56jr.jpg

spi51i.jpg

As promised here are the pics of some much healthier VFT. I know they still have a long way to go before they are fully recovered. But the new growth is all solid and since I also added 2 x 18W T8 daylight fluorecence tubes to them aswell it seems that after even just a couple of days that the odd trap is gettign hints of red back in them. finally. With all the help from you guys and girls me and the VFT say thankyou. Will let you all know how much better they get after another few weeks and after I trim some of the old dying growth off.

Thanks again for saving my plants.

Karl