Sign in to follow this  
JimsPlants

Darlingtonia flowers aborted?

This year ive got about 5 different Cobras all of which formed a nice flower bud last Autumn but seem to have given up on them.

Only about 50% of the buds produced have actually made it out of the plants. The actual plants are growing very well but the flower buds are all just sitting there not growing at all :(

The ones that did flower have been growing for a couple of months now with the warm spring we had- they're pollinated and turning upside down now, just cant figure out why so many of the others seem to be not doing much. Also all of the ones that have grown have produced smaller buds in comparison to last years.

115P1000569.jpg

Come to think of it, my Darling is doing the same. Wondering if it was the cold winter.

Can anyone help myself and JimsPlants out on this? Mine did it last year and looks like it's also doing it this year too.

Any insight or experience with this and how to cure it?

Can anyone help myself and JimsPlants out on this? Mine did it last year and looks like it's also doing it this year too.

Any insight or experience with this and how to cure it?

Mine seem to be ok this year, i must have about 20 flower stalks. The only thing that has changed from last year is the temperature/weather. They havn't been repotted nor were they the year before so all i can think of is that really cold winter we had the year before. Although some of the flower buds look to be a bit on the small side compared to some i've had in the past.

Glad to hear yours are doing well. Mine was reported last year. This year I have found another flower stalk and I didn't notice before posting to here so I think I might have some success to come. fingers crossed.