Sign in to follow this  
JimsPlants

Drosera helodes?

Guest Andreas Eils

Yes, that must be D. helodes! :-) I´ve received D. helodes from two different sources and their flowers look exactly like yours, so I´m 99% sure you grow the real thing.

Regards

Andreas

Guest Andreas Eils

Oh, this happens so often with pygmy Droserae - mislabelled plants... :whistling: It took me four approaches to finally get the true D. ericksoniae aka omissa!!!

Andreas

Oh, this happens so often with pygmy Droserae - mislabelled plants... :whistling: It took me four approaches to finally get the true D. ericksoniae aka omissa!!!

Andreas

Very true, it's why im trying to get all mine correctly labled, still have a couple dubious ones left, next on the list is my omissa.

Let's not forget we have a pink and also a white flower pycnoblasta....which the flower looks very similar to some helodes forms....so without seeing the plants and a closeup of the flower we can only guess.

Guest Andreas Eils

Hmm....that´s true indeed. But I have so often heard about false D. pycnoblasta in cultivation that the true species must be comparatively rare in cultivation. I thought the red blotches on the petals are significantly bigger than those of D. helodes.

Jim, take a closer look at the stipula of your so called D. pycnoblasta - they should look like these: http://zeleni-dravci.cz/foto/D-pycnoblasta-02.jpg ; http://dionee.gr.free.fr/photos/ai18.jpg

These are the stipula of D. helodes: http://www.grislygrotto.com/hcb/helodes1.jpg This may help a little more perhaps.

Greetings

Andreas

The pycnoblasta plant it's hard to confuse...i think too that when in doubt just look at the mature plant in place of flowers and you will easy tell if you have a pycnoblasta or not. I have some photos on my website of helodes forms and pycnoblasta....no reason why someone should confuse the 2.

Guest Andreas Eils

http://droseragemmae.com/ Aaahhh...that website does look familiar to me! Now I know who you are! :biggrin:

This is also a very nice image of D. pycnoblasta I have to admit. :-)

Honestly I was thinking Jim just wanted to be confirmed his plant is a D. helodes. I´ve had no idea he in fact wanted to know if his plant would be a D. pycnoblasta. I don´t grow this species yet - but I´d love to soonly grow it. Just wonder where to get the real thing!

Kind regards

Andreas

Looks much more like D. pycnoblasta that D. helodes to me. Interestingly, I've seen quite a few in WA and all of those that I saw near Lake King were completely white, without any red spots.

Here are my D. helodes, for comparison:

100_9017.jpg

100_8957.jpg

Thanks for your input everyone, here is some more photos may make things easier.

The flowers in the photo do have a pink tinge that isn't clear in the pic.

Photo of the plants in question this winter with gemmae:

981011120102068.jpg

The same plants taken today:

439D.helodes.jpg

Photo of the flowers, this is as close up as i can get the shot:

314D.helodes_flower.jpg

And finally a different pot of plants that i have recieved as pycnoblasta and i think that they are correct:

564D.pycnoblasta.jpg

Edited by JimsPlants

Your second pot is pycnoblasta the first, as sudpected by everyone, is helodes.

I forgot to mention that there is an other easy way to thell them apart and that is by gemmae size and shape.

LOL! My D. helodes gemmae came from Mark!