My Sarracenia

VFTLance <3

Hi guys was wondering if you could give me a bit of help =) i have a Sarracenia i bought it on the 12/04/11ive been watching it for a few weeks and it doesnt seem right but maybe im just paranoid lol anyway heres a photo of it from the day i bought it

752rsz_dscf5214.jpg

and heres a photo that i took of it today

509rsz_dscf5350.jpg

does anyone else think that it might be sick? i can't see any botrytis on it so i don't know if there is something wrong with it or not, any suggestions?

much appreciated =D Sarah x

It looks to have gone backwards a bit.

Are you growing it in the house?If so they take time to acclimatise to less humidity,and some of the old pitchers will dry up.

ada

Additionally, it looks like it wasn't getting a lot of light before you got it. So that growth wouldn't have been hardened to the intense light and heat we've been getting this last 2 months. Some of my seedlings which I had started early indoors, fried when I moved them out and are now behind the others which were out all winter :wall3:

To sum up, Sarracenias are sun lovers. The more direct sun the better, although they do well in greenhouses as well. Rain water, distilled, reverse osmosis, deionizes water is what they need. Tap water is normally a slow death for them. When going from inside to outside always start them off in the shade. Try to approximate tempearature as much as possible. In other words, a rainy day, around 20 C is a good way to transition them to the outside world.

Thanks for the help guys =D it lives in my conservatory along with all my other plants, and i give them all cold boiled water seeing as we haven't had any rain for the last month and a half and i do spray them all regularly so hopefully it will pick up =D all of my others are doing fine its just this one unfortunately.

If it's any help, it looks like a garden centre specimen, meaning they might have kept it in bad soil, used high-mineral water, etc.

Cold boiled water, is that tap-water? If so, then you must change to either rainwater, reverse osmosis water, deionized water or distilled water. Boiling water does not remove salts in the water, on the contrary in fact.

Thanks for all the help =D is reverse osmosis filtered water?? thats what i was giving them before but then my filter died so ive been using cool boiled water for a few days

also the compost i have to repot my plants in is zero nutrient sphagnum moss peat with added perlite and vermiculite is that ok?

Edited by VFTLance <3

Hi VFTLance

Be careful, filtered water is not neccessarily the same as RO, and demineralised water, what sort of filter was it?

Otherwise I agree with Phil and the others it could be scorched by the sun having come from a shaded upbringing, if so it will right itself soon and the new pitchers will show the true colours, if it is getting sufficient light, and the water defintiely needs to be rainwater, distilled or RO.

Cheers

Steve

Hi VFTLance

Be careful, filtered water is not neccessarily the same as RO, and demineralised water, what sort of filter was it?

Otherwise I agree with Phil and the others it could be scorched by the sun having come from a shaded upbringing, if so it will right itself soon and the new pitchers will show the true colours, if it is getting sufficient light, and the water defintiely needs to be rainwater, distilled or RO.

Cheers

Steve

Ah ok cool, thanks, =D ive been using a brita filter its what ive used for the past year or so until the filter ran out but my VFT that i used it on is doing fine its grown back and attempted to grow 4 flowers but i cut them off, so it doesnt seem to have done any harm to it. My pitcher is in the conservatory with all my others now so its getting good light all day and i spray them twice a day to increase the humidity all my others are doing great, so hopefully a bit more tlc with it will bring it back round =D

Do you have any grocery stores that sell distilled water? We have Walmart, here, in America, and they routinely sell gallon jugs of the purified water, for under a dollar.

Nah unfortunatly i dont think we do, the only bottled water im aware of that is sold here is like evian and that sort of stuff unless thats distilled

Thanks for all the help =D is reverse osmosis filtered water?? thats what i was giving them before but then my filter died so ive been using cool boiled water for a few days

also the compost i have to repot my plants in is zero nutrient sphagnum moss peat with added perlite and vermiculite is that ok?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311&_nkw=reverse+osmosis+unit&_sacat=See-All-Categories

you need one of these, your local aquarium shop may sell them as marine tanks need it too

my preference is a water butt or three under the fall pipe of the house, serves we very well

I am sure you can buy distilled water. Check where the detergents are. Many irons require distilled water, therefore most shops will sell it.

ah cool oki will do next time i go shopping =D ive got a big bucket outside in vane hope of catching a bit of rain as well, so far not doing so well lol

Another thought is that if you can access a laboratory that wouldn't mind providing you with purified water that has expired / can't be used for testing purposes,

Go to the local garage, what they call "car battery water" is basically distilled water. Although this is a more expensive option. The cheaper way (I have just found out) is an aquatics shop. They generally sell Reverse Osmosis (RO) water. My local one does it for 10p a litre.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys i was also wondering if you could identify my plant, i have a good idea of what i think it is but still not 100% certain =D Thanks for all the help ive now repotted it and its looking as though is starting to pick up =D