Hi,

i have noticed that some sellers will not ship to Italy. I can't recall seeing why this is so. I have a request for shipping cost to Italy, but don't want to send if there is a problem. Can anyone help?

thanks

Kevan

Registered mail from the UK is called 'Recorded Signed For'. It is effectively the same as the normal postal service, except that you get a delivery receipt. With International Signed For it is tracked within the UK but not necessarily when it leaves the country. This service does not offer any enhanced guarantee over standard postage that the package will reach the destination.

You also get a tracking number in the UK with recorded signed for.

Royal mail also offer International Tracked and Secure services, or a contract airsure which states on their webpage that it is A fully tracked service from posting to delivery overseas http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=118600873&mediaId=132500806

Edited by mattybadboy44

I can give you my experience from Italy. I received post (plants and seeds) from UK, Ireland, Holland, France, Germany and I never had a shipment loss.

We had very long delays, especially for unregistered post. Some plants get me after 20 days or more, but up to now nothig has lost.

Now I'm waiting registered post from Ireland, I'll see if registerd is better! :biggrin:

Royal mail also offer International Tracked and Secure services, or a contract airsure which states on their webpage that it is A fully tracked service from posting to delivery overseas http://www.royalmail...diaId=132500806

These are just the contract (business) versions of Airsure and Signed For. Signed For will only track items within the UK and Airsure has no delivery receipt.

Also see this thread: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37009

I can give you my experience from Italy. I received post (plants and seeds) from UK, Ireland, Holland, France, Germany and I never had a shipment loss.

We had very long delays, especially for unregistered post. Some plants get me after 20 days or more, but up to now nothig has lost.

Now I'm waiting registered post from Ireland, I'll see if registerd is better! :biggrin:

I think it s have notting to do whit the postoffice,i am affraid not all Italien are like you,not registred mains she can say she have not received ,noone can controle this,whit registred you can see wats happened whit your packet!For sure the post i send from Belgian post,i can track this so long it s not delivered!

2 years ago i have sell a lot whit Ebay,at first i send to Italy not registred ,my first 3 packets i send not registred to Italy are lost all 3, after this i send only registred to Italy and have not lost any packet anymore,so i think not its a postoffice problem,or there must be a lot postman collect not registred postpackets!!

I only want to say,send registred and no one can say he have not received after he sign for it!

Edited by will9

What I have been told by the UK post office is that shipping plants to Italy is not permitted. Plants shipped to italy will be destroyed (apparently this is official policy of the italian post office). Now that does mean of course plants can and do get through, in fact most of them may get through. However, as this is the official policy, the UK post office will not insure plants that are sent, so if they are 'lost' or destroyed they will not be held responsible even if the plant is sent registered.

What that therefore means is that if you ship any plant to Italy, it is at your own risk and if the plant is lost you have have an unhappy purchaser and no way to get re-imbursed.

Hence sending valuable plants to Italy makes no business sense.

What I have been told by the UK post office is that shipping plants to Italy is not permitted. Plants shipped to italy will be destroyed (apparently this is official policy of the italian post office). Now that does mean of course plants can and do get through, in fact most of them may get through. However, as this is the official policy, the UK post office will not insure plants that are sent, so if they are 'lost' or destroyed they will not be held responsible even if the plant is sent registered.

What that therefore means is that if you ship any plant to Italy, it is at your own risk and if the plant is lost you have have an unhappy purchaser and no way to get re-imbursed.

Hence sending valuable plants to Italy makes no business sense.

Who can see if there are plants in the box if you not mention,if i see the list of forbidden products that you not may send here in Belgium then i see also plants,money,gold ,silver,apparatur,GSM ,computer and match more!

If she really forbid this then Ebay excist no longer.

There are postorder firmas that sell only plants ,no one say anything abouth this.

If you go ask the list for forbidden products in England,i am allmost sure it s the same.

Like i say ,after i send registred i lost not one packet anymore,and i send a lot of packets to Italy

Edited by will9

:rainingsmile:

Who can see if there are plants in the box if you not mention,if i see the list of forbidden products that you not may send here in Belgium then i see also plants,money,gold ,silver,apparatur,GSM ,computer and match more!

If she really forbid this then Ebay excist no longer.

There are postorder firmas that sell only plants ,no one say anything abouth this.

If you go ask the list for forbidden products in England,i am allmost sure it s the same.

Like i say ,after i send registred i lost not one packet anymore,and i send a lot of packets to Italy

Plants are not forbidden within the uk or many other european countries. Spot checks are allways made on a percentage of packages. It doesnt matter if the parcel goes missing or simply gets delayed so long the plant dies, you are not insured. As i said, most parcels may get through but some dont, you as the sender carry the risk.

Edited by manders

Hi,

plants shipped the 3th arrived here yesterday, exactly a week. It was a shipment from Ireland with registered post.

In my opinion, In Italy standard shipment are very sluggish and erratic. But registered post isn't so bad!

About the forbid to ship plants, in Italy theoretically is true. The only plants that you can ship are bonsai and tubers/bulbs.

But here's the question: what is the true difference from shipping a bulb and shipping a sarracenia rhizome?

I think it's not forbidden in practic. We (Italian CP growers) send many plants every year, and no one is lost or destroyed, if registered. And almost all of the unregistered shipment arrive safe and in quick time, excluding some cities and district.