Sarracenia Flava var burgandy

mattynatureboy44

I have the real Slack Burgundy, I know it is as I brought it from Mike King so I'm as sure as anyone could be, BUT I have never got it to look as good as I have seen in the photo's in Slack's book or posted on this forum. If you repot a red Sarracenia it will stay pretty poor in colour for a year or even two before they recover, my point being, it could be a a while before you know for certain if your plant is the real thing or not.

Alex.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although here is an auction by the same seller with a photo of a mature plant, definitely not a cv 'Burgundy'....although to be fair? it was not advertised as 'Burgundy', it was described as "Burgandy form".

Is that misleading, or is it buyer beware?

That's a completely different auction, description and title to the one I bid and won on though. I agree there is nothing wrong or misleading with that auction, that particular plant seems to have sold for about a £5, alot less than the plants sold with the description and title as the one I bought, actually most went for £10- £15 sold under that description.

The auction I bidded on did not say that, it said Sarracenia flava var rubricorpora C.V. BURGANDY and they had paid lots for it from a well known seller, so yeah to be fair in regards to the auction I won it was definately misleading.

On my part if I had of researched the plant more beforehand, I would have realised and queried the spelling.

Thanks to a very kind moderator I fully trust on this forum, the real plant is now on it's way to me. :biggrin:

Although I do still hold out some hope for my ebay burgandy (some colour would be nice) and am eagerly awaiting Edan Black to become available :wink:

Edited by mattybadboy44

• 3 weeks later...

does not look promising Martin, should be red before it opens really. Shape not right either.

here's mine just opened a few days ago:

5696028270_4bfeb785d0_z.jpg

Sarracenia flava burgundy by gardenofeden67, on Flickr

And where can we get your one Stephen? It's stunning. Is it the Stack original?

And where can we get your one Stephen?

Well it is quite slow to split, it does not divide easily, so I don't have spares, but lots of people on the forum grow it :sun_bespectacled:

It's stunning. Is it the Stack original?

that's the million dollar question isn't it? Looks like it. I've had it over 20 years and unfortunately do not have records of where I obtained it from. I have two different plants, both obtained as Burgundy, only this one looks like the original...

although here is an auction by the same seller with a photo of a mature plant, definitely not a cv 'Burgundy'....although to be fair? it was not advertised as 'Burgundy', it was described as "Burgandy form".

Is that misleading, or is it buyer beware?

Sorry guys, I should have posted earlier.

I bought that particular plant in the above auction simply as I liked the look of the parent and was fully aware it was not cv 'Burgundy'.

I did however contact the seller for a history and was given the previous owners name that I did not know and the fact this person recieved this plant labeled as burgandy form.

Somebody not in the know could however grow this particular clone and then have his list corrected to cv 'Burgundy' and then the plant circulates adding to the confusion.

The auction I bid on I have to say could be viewed as a tad lacking in responsibility.

However, stating cv in another auction for a plant is probably misleading whether in good faith or not.

I must add in all fairness that communication was good and delivery/packing very good.

Ian.

Just to add I obtained my cv 'Burgundy' from Mike King and two characteristics I have observerved is the inward dent on the upper pitcher as seen in both previous pics and the kink in the lip seen in the first pic, I'm not saying they will always be there but seem to be most often.

Edited by Ian Salter

Well it is quite slow to split, it does not divide easily, so I don't have spares, but lots of people on the forum grow it :sun_bespectacled:

that's the million dollar question isn't it? Looks like it. I've had it over 20 years and unfortunately do not have records of where I obtained it from. I have two different plants, both obtained as Burgundy, only this one looks like the original...

I just checked PJ plants and it's on their site as Adrian's and for a decent price...

...I'd say 'dont panic'. The red clones are notorious for dropping their colour after some root disturbance. I have a big 'ol Burgundy that I periodically take rihzome cuttings off, without de-potting the entire plant.

I have a bizarre sight of some pitchers like yours (green/red near the site of the excised rihzome) and other pitchers are the classic Bugundy (undisturbed side of the pot).

Not sure what the great and the good on here might advise, but I always just wait a couple of growing seasons for the pitcher colour to settle down......

Slack advised the use of 'peat tea' (cooled of course) but I'll be honest I've only used it a couple of times and never really found it made much difference....

There is definitely something to be said about the original S. flava var rubricorpora 'burgundy' clone. It stands out from the rest of the rubricorpora clones in the sense that it has a unique oval mouth, slightly wavy lid, and a thin, red-blotched "neck." It's symmetrical and shapely in every sense. By all means, it's definitely a choice clone.

If you click on my home page, that is the true Burgundy and I do have one or 2 spares

www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

There is definitely something to be said about the original S. flava var rubricorpora 'burgundy' clone. It stands out from the rest of the rubricorpora clones in the sense that it has a unique oval mouth, slightly wavy lid, and a thin, red-blotched "neck." It's symmetrical and shapely in every sense. By all means, it's definitely a choice clone.

yes, you have highlighted the main morphological characteristics, also a dent in the pitcher just below the mouth.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, Ive just caught up with this thread.

I am the seller you are discussing and would never knowingly deceive anyone.

I sold two different clones of Burgundy, the one I called a CV came from Aiden Selwyn and I have this blog on it.

[s. flava var.rubricorpora cv ‘Burgundy’ (SF05c) Slack – ex. Oxford University Field Centre [OBG] –

Micropropagated from original (?) Slack clone. [stL-003] Aiden Selwyn ]

The second which apparently I mis-spelt came from a chap called Benjamin Dawkins and he described it as Burgundy form which is what I stated.

Incidentially, the remaining divisions which I potted up are in sulk which is no doubt what is happening to the ones you are referring to.

The pictures which were with my ebay listings showed the parent plants so if they were not Burgundy then I have been done, which I doubt from the well known seller mentioned.

I pride myself on the quality of the plants I sale and hope that has cleared up any doubts.

Hey, Ive just caught up with this thread.

I am the seller you are discussing and would never knowingly deceive anyone.

I sold two different clones of Burgundy, the one I called a CV came from Aiden Selwyn and I have this blog on it.

[s. flava var.rubricorpora cv ‘Burgundy’ (SF05c) Slack – ex. Oxford University Field Centre [OBG] –

The second which apparently I mis-spelt came from a chap called Benjamin Dawkins and he described it as Burgundy form which is what I stated.

Incidentially, the remaining divisions which I potted up are in sulk which is no doubt what is happening to the ones you are referring to.

The pictures which were with my ebay listings showed the parent plants so if they were not Burgundy then I have been done, which I doubt from the well known seller mentioned.

I pride myself on the quality of the plants I sale and hope that has cleared up any doubts.

Thanks for clearing that up, actually the plant I have has just put up two more pitchers that look nothing like the first one I posted pics of, they have colour and they do indeed look more like a burgandy now, they have not fully opened yet but I will post pics when they do.

I had my doubts about the sulk theory but now after seeing and experiencing it it for myself I believe my plants first pitchers poor colouration and form was down to it sulking.

Edited by mattybadboy44

I do not believe SF05c is Burgundy, I suspect these micropropagated plants were done from seed

none of your listings appear to show a genuine' Burgundy', sorry

I notice this is how the plant in question is now labelled on Aidan's website, so he has rectified his original naming.

quote :- ipF05c Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora 'Burgundy'

One of a number of clones in circulation under this name.

When I purchased it back in 2005 it was stated CV and I still have the original label with that on, so if I have misled anyone stating it as a Burgundy cultivar its because I believed it was.

A few pics of the plant now

First pitcher at front and new one that opened today at the back

5912509295_b4d86b196d.jpg

DSCF0715 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

5912499937_c292fef8f9.jpg

DSCF0707 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

5913057530_e22f2f9c76.jpg

DSCF0706 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

5927323957_e29b084039.jpg

DSCF0823 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

Label that came with plant

5912489805_1ff1a2b1c6.jpg

DSCF0704 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

Edited by mattybadboy44

Matty-looks plausible that your clone is in fact the original, but it's probably still too early to tell. The second to last picture almost looks like the real deal-perhaps time will tell.

Here's a pic of mine-note the "dent" on the lip, slightly wavy lid, and thin neck: Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora 'Burgundy'

Edited by meizwang

Matty-looks plausible that your clone is in fact the original, but it's probably still too early to tell. The second to last picture almost looks like the real deal-perhaps time will tell.

Here's a pic of mine-note the "dent" on the lip, slightly wavy lid, and thin neck: Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora 'Burgundy'

Yes it could well be the original, the picture you mention was taken yesterday a day after it had opened and it looked better. I have seen many pics of other peoples burgandy clones and I have since obtained another burgandy clone I know to be genuine and this plant is starting to look more like the real thing.

Still too early to tell, I will post some more pics soon when the other pitchers open.