Heliamphora glabra, Mt. Roraima--Brazil

Thanks everyone much for the kind comments! I indeed have plenty of more pictures to look through, but it would seriously be a nightmare to post them up across multiple sites. That being said, please visit this link for more pictures of many more plants as well as some huge panoramas: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126728

Fantastic pictures, Jon. Top notch. I lol'd at the legs in one of the panoramas :biggrin:

hahha....yes...DARN PEOPLE NOT WANTING TO STAND STILL!

there are more pics than just the panoramas, you will need to scroll through the pages to get to them. :)

Edited by amphirion

Hey John,

I'm really enjoying your link to Terraforums, the pics are all amazing! I wasn't aware that H.glabra grew within hiking distance of the triple border on top of Roraima, or I would've made the trek there myself when I was there in 2002/2003 -- only I wouldn't need a visa, hehehe!

BTW, it's not that Brazil doesn't like the US, but more the contrary. If you ever bother to fill out a visa for Brazil, you would see clearly written at the top of the form that it is a mere reprisal against the US, a tit-for-tat, for the US demanding visas from Brazilian citizens. Call it stupid national pride, but be sure that you have the better end of the deal. I've applied for many US visas over the years and I can guarantee it's one hell of an ordeal, for which I've had to stand in line at 5am, or wait in a virtual line for months before I could even show up at the US consulate in Sao Paulo. And every time I've endedn up wasting a whole day inside the consulate, moving from one line to the next, from one interview to another. Not to mention that I paid a ridiculous sum of US$500 for each of my last 2 visa applications, which were only good for 2 years each.

Lucky for you that Brazil does not spend money to patrol its border with Venezuela at the top of Roraima -- or that you will never have to experience the agony of applying for a US visa...

Best wishes,

Fernando

P.S. That yellow Utric is not U.subulata, looks more like U.pusilla or maybe U.nigrescens.

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

Hey Fernando! If i remember correctly, the glabra site was a 45 minute hike into the Brazilian boarder.

Lucky for us indeed that Brazil had no guards patrolling that area. Even luckier that if there were, we were cloaked in dense fog! We were joking around mentioning that even if we were going to plan an invasion into Brazil, Mt. Roraima is a ridiculous route to come from since there's a 9200 ft drop on all sides! Sounds like getting a visa for Brazil is a pain! If im going to go there, im going to make sure i get my money's worth and stay for the max duration!

Beautiful plants! They look a bit like the hybrid of glabra and nutans to me. Whatever - very nice find.

actually, we did find H. glabra x nutans nearby...glabra has no downward pointing hairs, hence it's name, and can only hold 3 pitchers at a time.

here's H. glabra x nutans aka H. nutans "giant":

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

This is one of the unfortunate problems with Photobucket if you use it to host popular pictures. The bandwidth allowance will refresh on the one month anniversary of the date the pictures were uploaded, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
BTW, it's not that Brazil doesn't like the US, but more the contrary. If you ever bother to fill out a visa for Brazil, you would see clearly written at the top of the form that it is a mere reprisal against the US, a tit-for-tat, for the US demanding visas from Brazilian citizens. Call it stupid national pride, but be sure that you have the better end of the deal. I've applied for many US visas over the years and I can guarantee its one hell of an ordeal, for which I've had to stand in line at 5am, or wait in a virtual line for months before I could even show up at the US consulate in Sao Paulo. And every time I've ended up wasting a whole day inside the consulate, moving from one line to the next, from one interview to another. Not to mention that I paid a ridiculous sum of US$500 for each of my last 2 visa applications, which were only good for 2 years each.

No Fernando,

The US is not happy about it. As far as I can tell a bunch of idiots has taken over our government and just pass laws to make them and their friends money while trying to rip everyone else off, American and foreign alike.

We aren't happy about it at all. I love the US and I hate our idiot goverment.

Sincerely,

Dave Evans