Sign in to follow this  
Daniel G

Vermiculite And Perlite?

Ok, it's a simple question, can you grow Sarracenia in just Vermiculite and perlite?

Cheers

Vermiculite can be very alkaline, which Sarracenia will not like.

Source: http://www.schundler.com/pH.htm

Whenever I have tried to grow CPs in inert materials, such as fired clay granules, LECA, perlite etc, with no added nutrients, they have not done well.

Yes I've also tried pure sand and perlite, I think the problem is unless your water is perfect all the time they slowly decline as there's no media to buffer it.

I think there is also an issue with lack of nutrients. While we consider CPs to be nutrient intolerant (which some are certainly not) they would typically derive some nutients from traditional growing mediums.

Ok, it's just at the moment i have a slight lack of peat and Sphagnum, so i'll just have to do, something :suicide_fool-edit:

Cheers for the info

no way out Dan,you need some peat of some sort in there.

ada

I've got a bit of peat in the mix now, but i really need to buy some soil, it's going quick.

Probably gonna buy 20 litres of sphag or something...

I can get it, but it comes mixed with perlite (I prefer to mix my own) and Sphag seems to be cheaper, but peat is quite hard for me to get, and you can't get alot either.

Have you checked out you local independent garden centres? You appear to have a couple in the area, according to Google. I find that the independents are more likely to stock peat or willing to obtain it.