Creating Bog Area in pot/trough! Help!

lil_flytrap_kid

I have the right soil (Perlite/Peat) but not sure what to put it in. :? Anyone got any ideas? My mum suggested some kind of trough or a big clay pot. By the way the reason why I havn't been on for so long is because all my plants died over winter :lol: . I did my best but not good enough :( I have had some good advice from Paul Gardner about it. Plus I moved to highschool so I was very busy. But today I bought a Sarrecenia Purpurea Venosa and a Drosera Capenis. My Drosera Muscipula has survived thank goodness! :) I'd have to change my name otherwise! :shock:

Any tips would be great!

Thanks,

:P lil_flytrap_kid :lol:

(I'm not new - Jus been gone awhile!)

good to see you back, sorry about your plants.

maybe a clay pot but it would need to be frost proof, prehaps a very large, thick plastic pot :?:

or you could dig a hole in one of your normal garden flower beds and put in some pond liner material then fill it all with the soil mix this should work well too.

Welcome back, sorry to hear of your loss :-(

They do some nice chunky wooden planters, different sizes, I saw one in B&Q for about £20. Line it with some pond liner, fill it with wet medium and plant away.

Good luck and let us know how you do! :-)

Awww :lol: Such a sad thing to lose a collection.

But :shock:

If you email me i'll set you up with several replacements, But I'll not be posting them so you'll have to collect, So you'll have to be nice to your mum or dad :lol:

Awww :( Such a sad thing to lose a collection.

But :D

If you email me i'll set you up with several replacements, But I'll not be posting them so you'll have to collect, So you'll have to be nice to your mum or dad :lol:

Hmmm....Maybe a Breakfast in Bed will do the trick :oops::lol: :lolmen:

P.s where are you?

K Ian.

I just got my trough today :( . Well a 'Hexagon Planter' Its wooden. From B&Q for £21.98. About 2" thick. There are gaps at the bottom inbetween the planks. The size is H 300 x W 600 x D 600mm. And its treated with Danish Oil - Whatever that is :oops: ! I was just wondering if I should put gravel or a bag at the bottom to cover the gaps. Or to make the drainage slower? Remember its supposed to be boggy. Im just not sure about the drainage :? . And I have 'Irish Peat' and perlite. How much should the formular be? e.g 3 pots of perlite to every 6 pots of peat.

Help needed now! :lol: Trying to do this before it gets dark! :)

Thanks,

:D lil_flytrap_kid :lol:

Guest Aidan

Well......really the whole point is for the bog to be flooded to within a few inches of the surface. A bin-liner is not really suitable as they are made of very thin and easily punctured plastic.

You are going to need to line it with pond liner on the sides and bottom I think (in one piece). Or some other strong waterproof material. Binliner is a bit weak and will not last very long.

Flooding is no problem. Just fill it up to its brim with compost (four parts peat to one of perlite is sufficient) so that the excess runs off the top. Bogs flood in nature.

Sarras can live with their crowns under water.

If you're worried about smaller plants, mound the compost in the parts where you want to plant them to keep them above the water level.

Okay :) . I have the bog filled up with compost. We have used binliner but we doubled it up so I'm hoping it will be strong enough :? ! I'm going to mix in some perlite now (I thought you wouldn't need it if the water can't escape *except from evapouration*) Thanks everyone for the advice :D . My parents are getting 3l of rainwater for me now :) . Then I'm planting 'em 8) ! I am really excited! lol I've dreamed of having a mini-bog for ages! :D YIPPY! lol :D . Well going to put the perlite in now. See ya! :wavey: :thumleft:

:D lil_flytrap_kid :D

Don't forget the most important part....... Pictures :-) We would all like to see how it goes.

I'd agree with all that has been said, I tried a binliner, the thick ones designed for rubble?, and it leaked straight away. It might be a good idea to re-line with some pondliner, a small piece won't be expensive, remember the formula - Width of liner = Width of planter + twice the depth + 10%, Length of liner = Length of planter + twice the depth + 10%.

And put something soft, old carpet, etc, in the bottom to prevent slivers of wood puncturing the liner.

Good Luck :-)