Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan F.

Fungus Fighter

I've used something called Fungus Fighter before, but don't remember if it was the same stuff or not. Yeah, it was fine, most the stuff that you buy in sprays are OK if they say 'ornamental' on the label.

Alex.

Be careful here they do change what chemicals fungicides and pesticides contain you would be better using the chemical name not the product name otherwise members could end up with dead plants ? '

I think I have that brand, it comes in a yellow container?

I've used it on cephalotus and had no problems :smile:

Be careful here they do change what chemicals fungicides and pesticides contain you would be better using the chemical name not the product name otherwise members could end up with dead plants ? '

This is a good point, but as long as the label reads ornamental plants, that which CPs fall into, they should be fine.

Alex.

What disease do you want to control? this is a very disease specific fungicide, I use it for powdery mildew on Cephalotus and epiphytic Utrics, and would not use it on other plants ( as they don't get powdery mildew, rust or black spot). I don't believe it is effective against Botrytis for example.

I am after a fungicide to spray on my Sarracenia as they suffer with Botrytis over the winter. And that is what has killed two plants over winter and not the cold.

I am not aware of any products on the market that offer control of Botrytis anymore, you would be wasting you money if that is what you want to control. Good light, good ventilation and accept that there will be one or two losses...keep a spare of everything.

• Like 1

A product that can help though not aimed at plants is Chinosol.

Though its wont stop Botrysis it has helped me in the past. Like Stephen says, ventaliation and light are better prevention measures.

an interesting observation is that several years ago I used to spray my greenhouse monthly over winter with benomyl/carbendazim products (no longer available) to "control" Botrytis. Despite this I always lost one or two plants to Botrytis.

Now I don't spray, and guess what, I still only lose one or two plants to Botrytis! I do innoculate with Trichoderma occasionally though.

So in my experience, even when they were available chemical treatments were no use. By the time you notice a Botrytis infection of a plant it is too late to save it anyway, even chemicals will not help.