Hybrid Nep List

Dicon

Hi Everyone,

Following the set up of the Nepenthes Sex Rigester aimed at matching up flowering Nepenthes Species (an effort to aid species conservation),

I have been repeatedly asked to do something similar for Hybrids.

Initially the updating process was a bit long winded and complicated and I felt that I would be inundated with N. x Ventrata's and the like so was reluctant to create a listing. However I improved the system a few months ago and so I am prepared to be persueded to produce a list IF SUPPORTED.

So, if you have a flowering Nep Hybrid, please post details on this thread to start with and if it is well supported, then I will compile a proper list from the postings.

As before the list is open to Europe only.

In order to keep the thread as compact and concise as possible, please provide only the information I ask for below.

1. The cross, Cultivar or Registered Name and/or Female x Male. eg Lady Pauline (talangensis x maxima)

2. The sex (Male or Female). eg Male

3. Date in flower (try to guess date receptive) eg April 2011

4. Where the plant originated from (Nursery or individual) or if not known, who you obtained it from. eg Borneo Exotics

5. Contact preference eg PM

Any problems or questions, please post them here but be aware that by posting in this thread you are expressly giving me permission to have said posts deleted by the moderators at my request (this just allows me to keep the thread uncluttered as and when required)

Cheers

Matt

Edited by Dicon

• 2 months later...

N spathulata x aristolochioides) x (lowii x ventricosa).

male.

01/07/2011 in flower. pollen will be ready in about 2 days.

originated from EP.

contact via pm.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got my first Nepenthes flower on the way:

It's a Lady Pauline (talangensis x maxima)

Male (I think, not sure really but I think I read this somewhere)

November 2011

Hantsflytap, Borneo Exotics

PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I was wondering how exchange of hybrid pollen is done now. I guess this list wasn't supported enough 2 years ago but maybe there is enough interest now? Or are you guys using another system for pollen exchange like the sales or swaps forum? I'm interested because my first Nep is gonna flower (Rebecca Soper)

PS Dicon, you cannot receive my pm, could your mailbox be full?

Hi Bellsprout

I have cleared some of my box out now.

I think this is as good a place as any to advertise for hybrid pollen.

The species register is still active too(as far as I am concerned) but requires input and updates by those who are interested.

People have posted their plants' status in the thread alone which is also fine if that is as far as they wish to take it.

In the case of certain species that have been released in very limited numbers, particularly those available only from Wistuba, being able to determine the sex of specific clones is very helpful for preemptive pollen acquisition or advertisement.

This isn't simply a situation where you put your hand under the skirt and, to your horror, don't find what you're looking for. It actually applies to this hobby!

when ever something flowers in my collection, I record the sex and include the info with the plant and any resulting cuttings. However, I am still not understanding how information about the sex of a plant is going to help you make seed... You need both sexes anyway, and Wistuba does not often say what clone is which, you just get a tag with the species name... How does one use the info in the registry to make decisions about what to buy or trade?

I think the main reason for that list was to make it easier to find a partner for your flowering nepenthes, but people don't seem to use it enough so it's losing it's utility this way :wall3:. The most plants were updated last time in 2010 or so and I think it could be used way more intensively. Maybe dicon, it's a good idea to just make one list: first the species listed, then the hybrids in the same list so you don't have to make a second one?

Oh and the list is very helpful for people who want pure species seedling offspring. I can imagine if you have rarer species it would be nice to find the right partner and then this list is very helpful.

I would love to see the list more in use and would certainly support it with my flowering neps :)

when ever something flowers in my collection, I record the sex and include the info with the plant and any resulting cuttings. However, I am still not understanding how information about the sex of a plant is going to help you make seed... You need both sexes anyway, and Wistuba does not often say what clone is which, you just get a tag with the species name... How does one use the info in the registry to make decisions about what to buy or trade?

Hi Dave,

I think you need to read the first few paragraphs of the thread, this explains the purpose and aims of the registry. It has nothing to with trade, it is foremost a dating agency!

The reason I ask for the range of information is for traceability, For Example:"well the guy that sent me the pollen said it was N.eymae", simply is not good enough further down the line when the N.eymae came from BE!

Or maybe N.thorellii would be a more familiar example for dubious attribution.

99% of growers who flower a species asks for same species mates first and considers anything else on offer second.

By contributing to the list, you increase the chances of all growers producing species seed.

I have not done a mongrel list.

Right Dicon, however back to my original question; are you fellows aware you can sex the flowers long before they open?

Female flower buds are oval or egg shaped in profile, while male flower buds are round or spherical.

http://lhnn.proboard...1#scrollTo=1339

You mean like N. alata? When just a couple years ago Stewart McPherson published an entire book without a single photograph of N. alata in it even though he has several photos listed as such?

that is easy to rectify for you David, simply go around take some photos and publish your own book correctly then , simple right !!.

• 1 month later...